state fair project 2

Dan Noren

Staff member
for the second state fair project, i have decided to make another one of those 3d cutting boards. the materials to be used are walnut, cherry (replacing jatoba), maple, and some mahogany i had left over. the big squares will be walnut and maple, with the cherry stripes. when the board is created, it will be rectangular, with a border of mahogany. today i ripped all of the boards, and glued them up. next time around, i'll be taking them out of the clamps, sanding flush, cutting at an angle, and gluing up again.

Attachments

• 01 maple walnut ready to start.jpg
    01 maple walnut ready to start.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 02 parts cut.jpg
    02 parts cut.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 03 parts laid out.jpg
    03 parts laid out.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 04 parts glued up.jpg
    04 parts glued up.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 26
the day got off to a late start, as the wife :blah: figured that i needed more than the couple of hours of sleep that i had already gotten. after i picked her up from school, i went over to pop's and dropped off the wood and mdf for the new wine bottle holder (see other post), and a big bag of cans for pop, and picked up the blank for the cutting board. when i got to the shop, they said it would be way later in the day, or even tomorrow morning, as they were working on a slab for a custom table top, and it had been going through the sander for several hours already (huge slab). a few hours later i got the call, the blank was ready to be picked up (don't worry, i kept busy during those hours). picked it up, brought it back, and set up the sled. first thing was to make sure that the first cut took out that little bit of nastiness, and then proceeded with the rest of the cuts. after setting up the cuts the way i wanted them, i stepped back and took a look and the first thing i thought was, wow, peaks and valleys. then i marked out the locations for biscuits, cut them and glued up the blank. for those of you with sharp eyes, yes, there are fewer parts in the final glue up. if i used all of them, it would look cool, but i would loose points for usefulness. as it is now, it is a more workable size. i may use those odd three, and what i can salvage from the ends to make a small cheese board as well. waste not, want not.... lol

Attachments

• 05 blank sanded flat.jpg
    05 blank sanded flat.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 06 end cut made.jpg
    06 end cut made.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 07 all parts cut.jpg
    07 all parts cut.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 12
  • 09 reglued and in clamps.jpg
    09 reglued and in clamps.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 08 all parts realigned.jpg
    08 all parts realigned.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 13
got back to this one today too. trimmed the board to square, and removed one more row to balance it out some more. then it was on to the sanding, from 60 to 220 grit. after that was done, started adding the mahogany edge banding. tomorrow it will be sanding the edges flush, then one last hit with 220 all over, then hit it with the mineral oil.

Attachments

• 10 sanded to 220 grit.jpg
    10 sanded to 220 grit.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 11 first mahogany strip applied.jpg
    11 first mahogany strip applied.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 12 second mahogany strip applied.jpg
    12 second mahogany strip applied.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 10
  • 13 all mahogany strips applied.jpg
    13 all mahogany strips applied.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11
finished the sanding of the mahogany edge banding flush, and oiled. not too bad.

Attachments

• 014 mahogany edge banding sanded flush.jpg
    014 mahogany edge banding sanded flush.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 015 board oiled.jpg
    015 board oiled.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 19