Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mmm Peaches!

Mmm Peaches!

Looks like the peaches are in full swing here, loml came back from the farmers market with a 20lb box!

So its time for some Peach Salsa.

50% peaches
    50% vine ripe tomatoes (roma or other meaty ones are best, but saladinies or whatever you have will work.. to juicy you might want to de-seed/juice a bit)
    Chop and mix
    Add chopped Onions to taste
    Add peppers jalapeno, red chili, green chili, pasilla bajio (a garden favorite they taste just a smidge chocolaty), etc.. to taste
    I like a bit of dried pepper as well, chili powder (mostly dried poblano) works well
    A squeeze or three of lime or lacking that a spritz of vinegar.

Mix thoroughly, refrigerate 4-12 hours or 20 minutes if you can't wait that long.
    Enjoy with some corn chips.

You can also make fresh corn chips - take some tortillas, chop into corn chip sized pieces, heat some oil (~3 inches works well) in a dutch oven until a scrap of tortilla tossed in it bubbles vigorously. Fry in smallish batches to not overwhelm the oil and push down into the oil with a slotted spoon. Drain in a basket and salt lightly.

Oh man, that sounds good. We are having issues here getting any good produce because of the heat.

I would give that a try in a second.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Salsa's tasty but for Peaches I cast my vote for warm Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Salsa's tasty but for Peaches I cast my vote for warm Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream!
    Boy I have a hard time arguing with that! Although I'd personally be torn between cobbler and crisp.. Cobbler soaks up the juice better but Crisp has that tasty tasty crispy bits with pecans! I foresee a decision in my future here.. Crisp or Cobbler.. Crisp or Cobbler..

Actually the best use of peaches is to take them to Brenham, Texas and let the Blue Bell Ice Cream plant turned them in Homemade Vanilla Icecream with peach chunks .... as near to heaven as I will probably ever get.

Too bad Blue Bell is considered an imported delicacy in Tennessee and sells for about $6.98 per carton.... but at least it's a full 1/2 gallon.

We bought half dozen peaches at Wal-Mart last week and they were the worst.... totally mealy and tasteless.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Actually the best use of peaches is to take them to Brenham, Texas and let the Blue Bell Ice Cream plant turned them in Homemade Vanilla Icecream with peach chunks .... as near to heaven as I will probably ever get.

We bought half dozen peaches at Wal-Mart last week and they were the worst.... totally mealy and tasteless.
    I remember when we lived in Maui and they had Peaches at the Costco .. most disappointing (food) experience of my life. They had free samples and everyone was talking about how fabulous the peaches were so we went over to try some.. They crunched.. like an apple... Peaches ain't supposed to do that. No discernible flavor either. The mangos from my friends tree otoh.. mmm mmm so good.

You should make ice cream at home for that price!

Actually I take that back - heavy cream is $6/qt around here - ouch! Maybe $7 per 1/2 gallon ain't so bad.. unless its more than 1/2 air!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post

WHAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!! That's not what they say on the TV adds I just can't believe it
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Just walked in the door with these....gonna give it a try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tomato 002 (Small).JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	77301

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Just walked in the door with these....gonna give it a try.

Those look garden fresh to!

One side note: this is also delicious as a topper on grilled chicken or fish (especially milder white fish) and other similar meat dishes..

Haven't tried this one, but sure sounds good

Peaches and Cream
    Jesus was a Woodworker