Sorby Sandmaster Problems?

Mike Turner

I have a Sorby Sandmaster and am having trouble keeping the discs on. I have some that I bought a few back from somewhere (I forgot) and some from Vinces Woods and Wonders. I have blown the Sandmaster pad off,and have tried different lathe speeds..The Sandmaster pad still looks great. Any suggestions???

No experience with the Sandmaster, but is there a chance you've overheated the Velcro pad on the Sandmaster? The only times I've had hook and look sanding pad failures was when I got too aggressive and heated up the hook part enough to melt it. The melting isn't always visible, but the net result is that the sanding disk doesn't stay attached to the pad the way it should.

Thats probably it Vaughan. Ive used it a while. I probably need to replace the pad. This is something I use a lot when I have to and have heated it up too much. What do you use ??

Thats probably it Vaughan. Ive used it a while. I probably need to replace the pad. This is something I use a lot when I have to and have heated it up too much. What do you use ??

I have several different sanders. I have a 2" Grex pneumatic ROS, a 3" Metabo electric ROS, and a HF right-angle drill with 1", 2", and 3" pads. And I've melted quite a few pads over the years. It has taken me a few years to learn to slow down the sanders and slow down the lathe when sanding. It actually speeds up the sanding process, and I've not melted any Velcro in a long time now. ;)

I notices that I was tearing the foam rubber off the soft padded disc holders.. too aggressive I think... but I went to the power lock sanders that click into place on a Neiko side angle drill from Amazon... you can get them with a flex edge or one that fits right to the holder... both work well, but the flex edge is better inside as it doesn't tend to dig into the wood so badly... only time I lose a disc is if I get too far up on the edge of the disc it might pop out of the lock.