ATTENTION PEN MAKERS

I did not see any category that this really fit into so I placed it here. I also did not find anyway to search for pen or pens or pen making in Family WW---So I have a question for pen makers.

I will state the problem. The “ball point,” “roller ball” pens in pen kits just do not seem to be top quality. They are pens that do not necessarily start putting out ink when I start writing. They are pens that require significant downward pressure to write continuously.

If I did discover a pen refill that will always start when I do and that requires very little downward pressure, how do I know which kits it would fit into? I am thinking of a pen cartridge that will write like a Pilot throw-away pen model “Precise V-7 rolling ball, fine”.

I have had people tell me to use kits that take the Parker or Cross refills. However, those refills are not as good as some of the throw-away advertising pens or throw-away pens sold for about a buck. If I go to the effort to make a pen and give it to a friend I want it to work and work well.

What Can You Recommend for the refill and what quality kits will use it?

Enjoy,
JimB

Not that I would try to pass the buck or anything---HOWEVER, Carol Reed suggested I do this when she visited a couple days ago.

From my experience I have found that in the past year or so that the cross type refills that come with the kits are of terrible quality. The Parker type seem to be a bit better.
Penn State kits are the worst. The ones I buy from Rockler seem to be better quality. Penn State sells to many resellers so it's hard to figure out whom to buy from.

I go to Staples and get their generic refills and put those in the kits I make. They are almost as good as a real Cross refill. I'd rather pay a buck or two more for a quality refill than to have customers complain.

I did not see any category that this really fit into so I placed it here. I also did not find anyway to search for pen or pens or pen making in Family WW---So I have a question for pen makers.

I will state the problem. The “ball point,” “roller ball” pens in pen kits just do not seem to be top quality. They are pens that do not necessarily start putting out ink when I start writing. They are pens that require significant downward pressure to write continuously.

If I did discover a pen refill that will always start when I do and that requires very little downward pressure, how do I know which kits it would fit into? I am thinking of a pen cartridge that will write like a Pilot throw-away pen model “Precise V-7 rolling ball, fine”.

I have had people tell me to use kits that take the Parker or Cross refills. However, those refills are not as good as some of the throw-away advertising pens or throw-away pens sold for about a buck. If I go to the effort to make a pen and give it to a friend I want it to work and work well.

What Can You Recommend for the refill and what quality kits will use it?
This is what I use as an upgrade to all of my pen kits, either BP or RB.
http://www.exoticblanks.com/index.p...tegory_id=215&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60

Great service from Ed & Dawn!

P.S. Send me your address by pm and I'll mail you a sample of each that I use.

Last edited:
Hi Mack thanks for that link. They look like a really great supplier. What i would like to know is they say on some of their blanks that they are drilled and tubed for a certain pen. Does that mean they are actually inserting the tube for you. So all you need do is turn it and put pen together?
Someday i will have a go at a pen. :) But what i like is seeing a supplier that has taken the blank selling to a new level with some real "added value" by taking the drilling and tubing risk out of the equation (that is if i understand it correctly) and not making the price exorbitant.

Hi Mack thanks for that link. They look like a really great supplier. What i would like to know is they say on some of their blanks that they are drilled and tubed for a certain pen.
Does that mean they are actually inserting the tube for you. So all you need do is turn it and put pen together?
Yes, that's exactly what they mean.
Someday i will have a go at a pen.
You and the Ambassador should team up to make one! :)
But what i like is seeing a supplier that has taken the blank selling to a new level with some real "added value"
There are a number of dealers that offer that option for some pen hardware. I have never considered purchasing any predrilled blanks even when I was a complete beginner!
by taking the drilling and tubing risk out of the equation (that is if i understand it correctly) and not making the price exorbitant.
Little if any risk to drilling a blank. I drill 99.99% of my blanks on my lathe.

Penn State kits are the worst.
Amen, Bro.
You reference 'ball point' and 'roller ball', two different critters.
Excepting PSI products, I have never had an issue with the refills that come from other suppliers. Most are common Parker style refills for the ball points. The roller balls, however, can be more difficult to find refills for. The best quality are Schmidt, I keep a supply on hand.
BTW, roller balls write with a completely different feel than ball points. Pressure is not needed. The write very much like a fountain pen and are very nice to use. However :mad: recently I took my favorite "power pen", a full sized Gentleman made of rattle snake skin, to a meeting and it wouldn't write. After a couple months of non-use it apparently dried out. They need to be used.

I should probably chime in. Dad likes a very fine point pen and has a very light hand. I can hardly write with the pens he keeps around as I tend to stab them into the paper and they catch as I write (too sharp). This is, I'm sure, because i have a fairly heavy hand and do best with a fat-medium roller ball or a good ole BIC. When dad is looking for a pen that will start writing right away, I think almost any type of ball will fail as his pressure is so light. So I guess as he originally stated, he needs a kit that will accept a high end refill . . . hmmm, I just had an idea. Maybe he should find a refill that meets his needs and then find a supplier that has kits that will accept it? Is this too backwards?

Glenn,

That is exactly what I am trying to do.

However, you opened a can of worms for me. I will have to find out what kind of point a recipient prefers prior to making the pen---well, there goes surprise giving.
I was told Staples carried Schmidt refills. The local Staples didn't know what I was talking about. I'm going to take Mack Cameron up on his offer.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Enjoy,
JimB

For Roller Ball -

Frank nailed it right here " The best quality are Schmidt, I keep a supply on hand."

Hauser ink cartridges were really mislabeled - They are actually great paint or glue mixing sticks!

I only use Schmidt.

For Roller Ball -

Frank nailed it right here " The best quality are Schmidt, I keep a supply on hand."

Hauser ink cartridges were really mislabeled - They are actually great paint or glue mixing sticks!

I only use Schmidt.

I include a small card with makes and model numbers of refills for all my roller ball pens with each sale.