Need Intervention (or at least a generator)

Make him work for it:

http://www.amazon.com/K-TOR-Pocket-...4806814&sr=8-5&keywords=pedal+power+generator

:D

Although I'm with Carol on this...I'm kind of surprised you guys don't already have supplemental solar power. Something like that should be able to pay for itself over time. I know at the ABQ Airport, they did a test program with solar cells on the roof at the parking structure. The system paid for itself in something like 18 months, and now they are planning to add cells to the terminal building itself.

Although I'm with Carol on this...I'm kind of surprised you guys don't already have supplemental solar power. Something like that should be able to pay for itself over time. I know at the ABQ Airport, they did a test program with solar cells on the roof at the parking structure. The system paid for itself in something like 18 months, and now they are planning to add cells to the terminal building itself.

A friend of mine in a similarily sunny (if somewhat further north so perhaps a wee bit less actual radiation) just had some put in. The math mostly worked for him because of good local subsidies, I don't know how good those are in NV?

The other thing to remember is if you go with the straight net-metering play (which many people do because batteries are $$$) it doesn't save you in cases like this.

He's probably going to start digging a hole in the back yard and welding up the seams on the storage unit so it will hold diesel for that generator that is on it's way. ;)

FWIW, our power went out for a few hours last night. It was after we had gone to bed, which wouldn't have been so bad, but my Backup UPS kept beeping every 20 minutes. Even after muting it, it would reset and sound the alarm again 20 minutes later.

Hello Boys, I'm Back!

hello-boys-o.gif

(Gotta get a generator, soon).

Need to do research on solar,with a big ole bank of batteries

Two hours is nothing. Enjoy.
When I upgraded our generator in 2009 after the infamous ice storm I shopped and shopped for the best deal. Finally ended up at Sam's. Got a 10K for under $900.00 which included delivery :D Never a moments regrets, would do it again.