First laser kit

Jim Burr

Star's and Stripes on an Ultra cigar. This is the first I've tried and it wasn't bad. If anyone notices a "design opportunity"....thank you and we'll discuss that later. 4 coats of CA with a gentle rub with 0000 steelwool. Thanks for looking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374957321372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374957321372.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
How was it turning? My fear is getting a 'catch' after getting it all glued up.

And you put the pieces in first, then wick in thin CA to glue the parts down, right?

(I won't mention the design opp) :D

Stinker!!:eek:
So I worked off the instructions from Constants website...set pieces, tape in place, set tube and turn. With the stars...that worked well; had one that looked like a blow out and put the clip over that. The stripes worried me since the instructions don't call for glue! Once the stripes were place, cut and tube glued, I shot some CA on the surface...wadda I know! Used the carbide cutter with VERY thin cuts...you can hear it if it heads south so back off. 1/64" seemed to be the usual cut. I can't do a good sweep curve with my carbide yet, so worked the shear cut with my 3/8" V Thompson resulting in a "Happy" curve. Since the wood is stabilized, 3 coats of CA...knock it down with VERY light 0000 steel wool and one more coat. Finishes like butter!!! I was looking soft a soft..."worn flag" look...think I got it. This must be my longest post ever!

Last edited:
Nice job not getting any color bleed. That's my other fear with this kit.
Ahhh...since it's stabilized, there is no bleed. Grain is filled so the chance for dust to fall in is nil. I thought the same thing, but after 240 and 400...clear as a bell. Constant does a great job...beginning to end.

Paul, it appears you have a good eye for detail. The aft end dia. does look larger the the fwd end, yet the semi-circular groove is oriented the same as the fwd spacer, plus it looks like it's aligned with a groove(?) on the gold band above???

Paul, it appears you have a good eye for detail. The aft end dia. does look larger the the fwd end, yet the semi-circular groove is oriented the same as the fwd spacer, plus it looks like it's aligned with a groove(?) on the gold band above???
I does look like that in the picture Al, but it all lines up very well. The gold blends into the black background at the edges. I had John Goodin make BTC bushings for the Cigar so it's nice and round.

Here's another pic Bob...the white doesn't hide much!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375039677100.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375039677100.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: