Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Pork Shoulder

Smoked Pork Shoulder

Well, I'm smoking a small pork shoulder (butt) today.

I'm using my goto rub "Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub" from the book "Smoke and Spice".

It's an all-purpose rub, good on ribs, brisket, chicken, and more. I generally make up a double batch and put it in a big spice shaker.

"Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub"
    3/4 cup paprika
    1/4 cup ground black pepper
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons cayenne
    Mix the spices thoroughly in a bowl. Store covered in a cool, dark pantry. Makes about 2 cups.

I fired up the smoker around 8 and put in a mix of pellets, cherry, maple, oak, hickory.

I put the pork on and will run it at 225 with the smoke for a few hours. Later I'll dump in a half a can of coke and cover it with foil and let it just braise most of the afternoon.

Then I'm planning on taking 1/2 of it and pulling it to make bbq pork sandwiches. The other half will be used in a 'chile verde' type preperation for later in the week.

By the way, my pid quit working, so I'm testing out the one I made for Carol today! Let's just call it a little QC check...

Here's a 'before' picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW-9533.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	77391
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Man you making me hungry. Thanks for the detail this is just what I need as backup. Still waiting for the depot to drop their price for me to buy. They still stuck with same stock so its got to happen soon. My little contest with them. Got to be soon cause I got to pull the trigger and have one all setup by mid August for a visitor.

I have been thinking about the questions you posed about driving the SCRs. These solid state switches came to market after I gave up the design bench and moved away from engineering that required that level of switching. So my experience with these and forerunners (thyristor switches) is not there.

Enjoy that pork. Can just about taste it.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    The other half will be used in a 'chile verde' type preperation for later in the week
    I read his recipe for the chile verde and it has CILANTRO in it...yum ... Vaughn

Been reading up on Boston Butt smoking and am finding all kinda nuances....like the meat "stalling" at 160* for a long time, and then the need to get the internal temp over 190* to break down all the fat and connective tissue. I did an 11 pounder yesterday and after 12 hours at 230* with the last 4 hours in foil the internal temp was still only at 180*. Family was getting hungry so I stuck it in the oven at 350* for two hours and got it up to 190. Bone came right out and it pulled nicely, but was a tad bit dry. I'll allow more time for the next one and maybe up the temp a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    I read his recipe for the chile verde and it has CILANTRO in it...yum ... Vaughn
    Aw man, I was already loading up the car to head over there for a late dinner (real late), but if he's poisoning things with the devil's weed, I'll just have to stay here.

Of course, you could replace the cilantro with some of that NM green chile I left in your freezer and have real chile verde sauce. Warning, though.That batch is pretty spicy. I just finished an omelette with some it it and I've got a nice little endorphin sweat going on.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Definitely planning on putting those chiles in there!
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

mmmm...mmmmm...I need to stop by Sams Club this week and get a butt for next weekend.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Been reading up on Boston Butt smoking and am finding all kinda nuances....like the meat "stalling" at 160* for a long time, and then the need to get the internal temp over 190* to break down all the fat and connective tissue. I did an 11 pounder yesterday and after 12 hours at 230* with the last 4 hours in foil the internal temp was still only at 180*. Family was getting hungry so I stuck it in the oven at 350* for two hours and got it up to 190. Bone came right out and it pulled nicely, but was a tad bit dry. I'll allow more time for the next one and maybe up the temp a bit?
    Yeah, Mine was stalled for quite a while. Cranked the heat up on the smoker to 300 and went to the pool for an hour and guess what, 192!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Definitely planning on putting those chiles in there!
    Be conservative with them...always easier to add more than to take heat away. I was a bit surprised how hot they were. ;(
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Let's see, um, aw heck, Reno's a three day drive!

Uh-oh! This is my 666th post. I'd better post another, real quick!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln