Worst day of my hobby woodworking life yesterday

Rob Keeble

By last night i was ready to post all my tools on kijji and craigslist and call it a day.

I dunno but the more i try the harder it gets to become organized.

I am trying like crazy to get a bed done for my youngest son to "leave home" with. ;) Its kinda like my farewell gift, sorta in the sense of "here son a good bed to sleep on is all you need, you can eat on the floor if you have to." He is moving into a house for the balance of University and my hope is from there is to some other house or apartment of his own.

So got the good lumber i want to use.

Then decided had to get the jointer blades sharpened up before milling this lumber. Got the blades out cleaned up and sharpened using Glenns suggestion.

Now come to put them back and figure one of my friends gave me a fancy set of blade setting devices he used when he was in the trade of repairing machines at all the woodworking facilities in Toronto region. Fancy set of German gadgets. Well i hunted high and low. I tore the whole place apart. Emptied every single draw and tote and box. 7pm last night i find them on a bench in the garage that was covered in clutter due to lack of storage space.

Ok clean them up and prepare to use them. Instructions in German. Find them online no instructions but figure out how they supposed to be used.

Ok hit the shop with what Grizzly says as instructions from the manual i have and that is 1/16" blade height. Cool, get these things set up for that and ready to start on jointer. Then the fine print hits me as i ponder how these gadgets are going to straddle the jointer head. These devices work on jointer heads with a diameter of 80 to 135 mm. So that killed that buzz. Back in box. Now they are an ebay item. Will give them back to friend to sell.

So I am now back at square one trying to find the setup gadget that Grizzly supplied when i bought the jointer. In my search yesterday i was looking for both just in case.

The good news is in the process i did get to fix a cheapo staple gun that was almost going in the trash yesterday and I took the advice i got a while back to sort my tools and cull a bunch of stuff from the over crowded draws. So a little cleanup has happened.

But man this aging memory thing is driving me crazy. Its all good and well if one is retired and can get to the shop for a few days in succession but stop go woodworking is not fun i have concluded.

Neither is starting a new project when the prior one is not finished. I know better from my business experience but when it comes to hobby i loose my brain.

So with a positive attitude (although it may not seem like it :rofl:) I shall endeavor to find that set up jig today, failing which the lumber is going to be bundle into the car and taken to a local mill and dressed for me and then i shall return to get the monkey:stick: (Linda son and co.) :deadhorse:off my back.

Of course when you have family expecting a project with a deadline, they quick to forget all the other things you do and the car repairs that have just been completed etc, never mind work. :doh:

Its very difficult to stop and go on projects that need time.
Trying to squeeze in 3 hours on the weekend, another 2 hours some other day, is great, but until you get all your thoughts together, start setups again, figure out exactly where you left off, it takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.
Projects built under such time limitations in the shop take twice as much time compared to just spending 4 days straight to finish something.
you are not alone, Im sure a lot of us have these same headaches when we stop and go with projects.

My main problem is getting motivated again when I slack off a project for a week or so.

BTDT! There are days when, after two or three things in a row go wrong, I just quit, lock up the shop, and go find something else to do. Actually, it seems like those days are getting more frequent, lately...:eek:

7pm last night i find them on a bench in the garage that was covered in clutter due to lack of storage space.

Under other stuff is a most wanted tool's favorite hiding place. I often get ribbed about putting a tool back on the hook even though I am going to use it in about 5 minutes. I do this so that in 5 minutes I will know exactly where to find it. Hang in there; its a journey, not a destination.

Under other stuff is a most wanted tool's favorite hiding place. I often get ribbed about putting a tool back on the hook even though I am going to use it in about 5 minutes. I do this so that in 5 minutes I will know exactly where to find it. Hang in there; its a journey, not a destination.

See Glenn the difference is that you are organized enough to have a hook to put it on in the first place... Some of us.. well.. :eek: :rolleyes:
Lets just say I can sympathize with Rob :D

I'm working on that.. it is getting better.. but dang!

Your first problem was replacing the jointer blades when they probably didn't need it. :knock::D

This. 100 times this. Just build the dang thing and quit worrying about the unimportant stuff. Unless you had gaping chunks of blade missing on your jointer knives, it ain't gonna make a noticeable difference in the end for a project like this. And as it is now, you may be taking the lumber to a commercial shop for surfacing, and you can bet your bottom dollar they're not gonna pull out their blades and sharpen them for this little run. ;)

Wow. Way to beat up on Rob guys :thumb:. Yikes! Do you have a piece of plate glass laying around? A scrap of glass and a few rare earth magnets can be your friend when setting jointer knives.

Capture.jpg

Wow. Way to beat up on Rob guys :thumb:. Yikes! ...

Yeah, I didn't mean to be as harsh as it ended up sounding. ;) I can definitely feel his pain when it comes to getting things organized in the shop. I'm betting I'm not the only guy here who has multiples of some tools simply because the first one I bought was nowhere to be found...until about 15 minutes after I got home with the new replacement. :doh:

I'm betting I'm not the only guy here who has multiples of some tools simply because the first one I bought was nowhere to be found...until about 15 minutes after I got home with the new replacement. :doh:

I've actually used that strategy in the past to find the unfindable tool. Never fails. Just save the receipt!

Gee you guys are tough customers. :) But i got very broad shoulders and enjoy a laugh.

Thanks Glenn for the jig solution and support u get soup today and the rest....no soup for u. lol.

Nope my jointer blades needed work. I jointed some pressure treated a ways back for a friend of mine. Well he had a screw that had broken off that had been forgotten a out and i did not check it all with a microscope because he usually is a absolute perfectionist but hey we all make mistakes.
The blades had real good damage so they reasonably fixed now but.....i see a carbide bit cutter in my tealeaves and its not far down the road. :)

Had a way better day today....easy just stayed away from the shop :)

We shall see what the morrow brings. :) As Glenn pointed out its a journey not destination.......well since i got to the bottom of the hill yesterday its all upwards and forward from here :)

Fwiw.....local lumber wont do it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2