Its almost done...

So Jay you care to share what you going to be drying? Going into the herb drying business? You got the space to do these things now.:)

Of course when i hear drying food i think immediately of Jerky but done with strips of meat but i know these aint for that. :)

Planed on drying Tomato's, squash and some fruits when in season. Had big plans to do a lot of Peaches but to much rain this year and they just dont taste good. I would love to do some jerky and will try a small batch to see if it will work or not. I may be able to do it with the elec backup.

Try some carrot strips. Slice lengthwise about 1/4" thick or so and dry until leathery. The drying concentrates the sugar and they make great snacks. Also green beans which are great in soups and stew's, better than canned IMHO.

Jay you just had me thinking back to SA. Many years ago there was a big huha over the issue of bird poop getting into the Rooibos tea "leaves" when air dried.

Your screen aint gonna keep the bird poop out if the bombers decide to let one loose in the wrong place. Of course they got to hit the target but somehow they seem to manage it when it comes to the surface of my vehicle in the midst of all the other open space they could use.:rofl: Guess it will add to the flavor some.

Or how about a piece of acrylic mounted say 6 inches above the top screen.

Jay you just had me thinking back to SA. Many years ago there was a big huha over the issue of bird poop getting into the Rooibos tea "leaves" when air dried.

Your screen aint gonna keep the bird poop out if the bombers decide to let one loose in the wrong place. Of course they got to hit the target but somehow they seem to manage it when it comes to the surface of my vehicle in the midst of all the other open space they could use.:rofl: Guess it will add to the flavor some.

Or how about a piece of acrylic mounted say 6 inches above the top screen.

Rob that picture is showing it opened up to see the screens the end closes up and the top door is used to regulate the temp. No exposed drying racks.:D
Ok and a glass top

Nanners and maters! Hey, can you share the plans?
You know, in the interest of helping us all get ready for the zombie apocalypse?

Nanners and maters! Hey, can you share the plans?
You know, in the interest of helping us all get ready for the zombie apocalypse?

I see its copyrighted I got it out of the book The Solar Food Dryer from Amazon Brent its only about $11.00.

Oh and it worked pretty good even with some clouds I can see it will really cook with a full day of sun.

Last edited: