Beer Can Chicken

mike marvel

We tried a recipe for "beer can chicken". There are a some to pick from off the internet. What makes it great is the rub that's used. There are a few recipe's for that too. Grilling is easy with a "chicken rack" bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. The beer doesn't really matter I guess. I had Heineken, so that's what we used. The chicken comes out very moist, and tastes fantastic.
beercanchicken_zps16d458b4.jpg

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Those do a great job, can use just about any liquid for them, even just water. I'll sometimes put a pan under mine to catch some of the juices for making gravy.

Hmm. Here in less civilized Canada, we call it "Beer Butt Chicken." I don't find it any better than other methods. The one in that picture looks like a fat guy sitting on the toilet. :rofl: Now are you gonna eat it? :D

I've made them all the time with nothing but the can. I usually use a can opener to take the top completely off (remove half the beer, in whatever way is expedient:D) and then dump in a half of a cut up lemon or lime to add a little 'flavor'.

I go really simple on the prep, and mix a little seasoned salt in some butter and then brush that all over the chicken.

Works better for me when I do them on a weber kettle grill with the charcoal seperated in to two piles and an empty middle.

I've made them all the time with nothing but the can. I usually use a can opener to take the top completely off (remove half the beer, in whatever way is expedient:D) and then dump in a half of a cut up lemon or lime to add a little 'flavor'.

I go really simple on the prep, and mix a little seasoned salt in some butter and then brush that all over the chicken.

Works better for me when I do them on a weber kettle grill with the charcoal seperated in to two piles and an empty middle.

Brent

How long does it take to cook? I use a old Webber grill that I was given used about 28 years ago.

Hmmm, Hard to say on the exact time. I usually use a meat probe thermometer in the breast and cook it till it's 170.

For whatever reason, that can vary, depending on size of chicken, temp of fire.

I've had it take as little as 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

I've done beer can chicken a couple of times and it turned out great. I've also done chickens on a rotisserie and it was great. Now, the frugal (cheap) side of me comes to the fore: One of our local grocery store chains offers rotisserie chicken in several flavors as a Wednesday special about once a month for $3.99 each. The same size raw chicken is no less than $6 just a couple of aisles over. :huh:

I've done beer can chicken a couple of times and it turned out great. I've also done chickens on a rotisserie and it was great. Now, the frugal (cheap) side of me comes to the fore: One of our local grocery store chains offers rotisserie chicken in several flavors as a Wednesday special about once a month for $3.99 each. The same size raw chicken is no less than $6 just a couple of aisles over. :huh:

Same here. We used to feed one of our dogs broiled chicken, and it was cheaper to buy 5 or 6 cooked ones at a time from Costco than it was to cook them myself. Still, beer can chicken is good stuff. I've got a rack for doing it, too. :thumb:

Same here. We used to feed one of our dogs broiled chicken, and it was cheaper to buy 5 or 6 cooked ones at a time from Costco than it was to cook them myself. Still, beer can chicken is good stuff. I've got a rack for doing it, too. :thumb:

We have a fine BBQ restaurant about 2 miles from home. Everything they make is top-notch; prices are fair, also. But, there's something about firing up the grill and/or smoker and impressing the neighbors with how much smoke you can create. Being around all that heat is a great excuse to pop several brewskies (or more than several)!!!

The racks, while nice, aren't really 100% necessary.

In the whole evolution of BC Chicken, the can itself was usually enough to keep the chicken upright.

I usually use twine to tie the legs together, and to keep the wings tight to the body.

If you do that, you might find the can is enough to keep it from falling over. The racks just make it a whole lot easier to take it off grill when it's done.

Yeah Mike great chicken we have tried it when we camping on a fire great fun and really nice chicken but like Brent mentioned tie things together so it holds itself Bart.