Just completed the built in with the dovetailed shelves

theres no way Im showing the the rest of my built in thread after seeing this.
that's a beautiful job, how come you didn't come here and do my attic built in for me?

sorta lets me know where I stand on the woodworking talent scale.

cant wait to show my wife this thread. While that may not be an attic, it still has a slight slant in the ceiling, but its a much larger area than Im working in. The unit fits beautifully in that space, the matching ceiling, great design.

one question. did you finish the table top/desk top surfaces with a different gloss than the cabinet door faces?

Last edited:
Allen don't short yourself you do great work!!!
To answer your question. No, I used the same product throughout, its just the way the light is hitting it. I used Targets EM9000 urethane sprayed with a C.A.T hvlp setup
The first two coats were gloss and the last coat was satin.

Very nice rich.

It looks like tongue and groove on the back. If that's true, how did you secure the top upright on the right side of the desk? The one that has adjustable shelves on the right and the single shelf over the desk on the left.

the back is tongue and groove flooring. I dadoed out the boards and ripped 1/4" x 3/4" strips which I assembled the back in sections then using 5/8" staples shot the strips into the dadoes to make panels. Using no glue here and 18gauge staples each board is still free to move and no cross grain conflict occurs. Each panel was then nailed to the studs along the wall. The shelves are attached to the wall using pocket screws placed where they wont be seen or are not very noticeable. Where you see the adjustable shelves I drilled the pockets where the middle shelf pin would go so the shelf hides the pocket. The 2 shelves to the left of the adjustable ones are installed the same way. The lower one is dovetailed into the upright but pocketed into the back the upper was decided to be fixed after the fact thus the missing dovetail and is also pocketed into the upright the back and the chase.