It's Friday! - 8/2/2013 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, it's August? :eek: Guess all those meetings yesterday over-shadowed the day.

I have to do some repair work tonight on the MIL's netbook which she dearly loves (need all the "favorite SIL" points I can get!). Planning to go do some more Jeep shopping with my wife tomorrow (and hopefully find one), then will probably be picking up supplies for the dresser project and starting it. May pickup a pork butt for the smoker on Sunday while I cut out dresser parts.

What's everyone else got going?

Replace head gasket on my sons Toyota Camry and then get back to work on another paying job building 4 rolling tool chest for a client.

Take Polly to her second "puppy training" class, then pull the carbs off my motorcycle for one more cleaning.

(I was able to ride to the gas station last week, but after I filled up it wouldn't start. I think the tankful of new gas flushed out additional rust, etc and blocked open the float needles in the carbs ... resulting in a permanent "flooded" condition.)

I'm not in too big of a hurry to ride in these summer temps, but if Ole Yeller is still out of commission when Autumn falls, I'll be upset with myself. :tantrum:

Still recovering from the crud I got while on our driving tour. The positive thing about it is the amount of time I've been spending on SketchUp! I've been working my shop layout drawing and creating components for same.

One of the men in our woodworking club bought my old Jet table saw - came and picked it up last night. That covered about 1/3 of the cost of the new saw and fence system. The next step is to get someone interested in my old router lift and router along with the over-the-blade dust collection system.

Not sure what LOML has in mind for me tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Nothing firm yet, but Saturday I'm thinking of grabbing a tent and sleeping bag and heading a couple of hours north for a quick overnight camping trip. I have a hankering to watch some stars and wake up next to a stream. Haven't been camping in years, but now that I'm dogless it makes it easier to sneak away for an overnighter.

Sunday my buddies are playing a late afternoon gig at a local pub. I'll join them if they're playing outside on the patio, but if they're inside, they can't really fit a fourth person on the tiny stage.

I must get busy sanding drawer fronts tomorrow, setting up the garage for staining after that.
Tomorrow night I was invited to a waterfront bar, my nieces 21st birthday celebration.
Ill be the only fuddy duddy there as I don't drink alcohol, but Ill be surrounded by 21-23 y/0s, so why not go.

I must get busy sanding drawer fronts tomorrow, setting up the garage for staining after that.
Tomorrow night I was invited to a waterfront bar, my nieces 21st birthday celebration.
Ill be the only fuddy duddy there as I don't drink alcohol, but Ill be surrounded by 21-23 y/0s, so why not go.

well i can relate to that allen i am able to be surrounded by 7 to 17 yr olds each day at one time or another,, and last Wednesday night i and a 22 yr old and a 65 yr old fellar won the trivia challenge for the night and paid for our fun with the winnings who says old farts cant HAVE FUN:)

Well, Work cropped up. I've got some worky work to do this weekend.

But, I've got a few other things on the plate.

1) Make a post about some of the lathe toys I got recently.
2) Make a post about some of the lathe sharpening toys I got recently.
3) Build a set of stairs to get in and out of the sailboat I need to get ready for our rapidly approaching vacation.

I put the lock on the smoker this weekend. Need to not have leftovers in the fridge on Monday so I can lose the pounds I gained during Burning Wood and since :(

Will let Brent make a steak one night and chicken the other, but he's done so much smoking lately, I'm having a nicotine fit :rofl:

Other than that, gardening, clearing out the sailboat, tree trimming, and like Brent, werky-werk while watching NASCAR

Have a good one, everyone :wave:

DMAT training, teaching a ventilator class, Saturday, back in the hospital Sunday, then who cares because I have 2 days of work left until school starts!! Smoker and parts should be here by Tuesday so assemblage should be tasty.

I'm hoping to start my first project now that I've upgraded my shop. I'm thinking of building a Drill Press Table that was featured in the current(?) Woodsmith Shop magazine (Setting Up Shop). This should add some useful flexibility/capacity that is currently lacking.

Also going out to try a new to us seafood restaurant along the NH coast.

So, I decided to ignore, as much as possible, what my relatives and immediate family wanted, and do some stuff that I have had trouble getting around to. So, first thing this morning, I had to cut a piece of ply to go on top of one of our new cabinets so we can use it until the countertops come on august 14th. That done, I started making a jig for sharpening lathe tools. Now, I work in a very strange way. I jump from project to project with no apparent plan, but at the end of the day, everything I started out to do, is done. So in no particular order, I glued two rare earth magnets into the little small parts well in my folding table saw, so that anything metal I put in there will stay in there when I fold the saw. I installed two magnetic bars on my lathe table, to hold tools. They hold my flat tools, but not my gouges. I'll have to make a shelf to stop the gouges from sliding down. I built the part of the sharpening jig that slides out so you can put the butt of a tool in it, and sharpen by rotating the tool. I sharpened my roughing gouge and spindle gouges very nicely. Now I have to make the bowl gouge jig. I cut out the pieces I need to make a printer table out of Peruvian Walnut, and applied three coats of stain to a lathe project.

This also required me to get my router table down off the shelf, something I barely had the strength to do, so the router table isn't going back on the shelf. I'll work something out.

I think I may have done a couple other things, too, but the magnets for the table saw and the sharpening jig have been bugging me for a while, so it feels very good to have some things out of the way.

Last edited:
So, I decided to ignore, as much as possible, what my relatives and immediate family wanted, and do some stuff that I have had trouble getting around to. So, first thing this morning, I had to cut a piece of ply to go on top of one of our new cabinets so we can use it until the countertops come on august 14th. That done, I started making a jig for sharpening lathe tools. Now, I work in a very strange way. I jump from project to project with no apparent plan, but at the end of the day, everything I started out to do, is done. So in no particular order, I glued two rare earth magnets into the little small parts well in my folding table saw, so that anything metal I put in there will stay in there when I fold the saw. I installed two magnetic bars on my lathe table, to hold tools. They hold my flat tools, but not my gouges. I'll have to make a shelf to stop the gouges from sliding down. I built the part of the sharpening jig that slides out so you can put the butt of a tool in it, and sharpen by rotating the tool. I sharpened my roughing gouge and spindle gouges very nicely. Now I have to make the bowl gouge jig. I cut out the pieces I need to make a printer table out of Peruvian Walnut, and applied three coats of stain to a lathe project.

This also required me to get my router table down off the shelf, something I barely had the strength to do, so the router table isn't going back on the shelf. I'll work something out.

I think I may have done a couple other things, too, but the magnets for the table saw and the sharpening jig have been bugging me for a while, so it feels very good to have some things out of the way.

Sounds like a very satisfying day! :thumb:

I hung out at a party for my 21 y/o niece, just me, my niece, and 500 other young healthy beautiful women .

wore me out, had to go home and get to bed.

Attachments

• tropix.jpg
    tropix.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 25
Oh man, that must have been rough hanging out with all those cute young women! Get your rest Old man!:D

Well, I got to hang out with four beautiful young women tonight, but they were my daughter, my daughter-in-law, and my lesbian niece and her partner. My daughter's new boyfriend and I sat out on the deck discussing politics. Oh, well...

Got the motorcycle running again, but put that on hold while we took Polly to "puppy school" (where she seems to be the biggest hit with the other owners :rolleyes:).

It was nearly noon when we got home, so I was sure the local safety inspection place would be closed. Finished putting the bike together anyway, and rode down to see the store hours. They were still open at 2:00 (!) and the sign said they would be open till 4:00. (!!) Too bad I didn't have my registration form with me. :( (We weren't able to find it until after 10:00 tonight.) But that's OK; when I got home I noticed some oily film on the front brake rotor ... no way that would have passed. I'll work on that in the next few days.

This evening I finally worked up the nerve to go through about a year's worth of mail from banks, credit card companies, insurance companies, my employer, you name it. I found some stuff I needed at tax time (oh well) but for the most part I tossed everything in the recycle bin after cutting out our name and address, any account or credit offer numbers, etc. Feels good to get that out of the way! :thumb: