Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: book case for landlord

book case for landlord

the landlord has finally given me the dimensions for the book case he wants me to build for him. i've done up two versions of plans for him, one using plywood for the case and shelves, and one using solid lumber. just waiting for him to get back to me as to which he prefers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails doug book case plywood.jpg   doug book case solid.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

he has decided on the solid wood version, and we have agreed to a price. we'll be picking up the lumber next weekend.
    benedictione omnes bene

Cant go wrong with solid wood
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

nice looking forward to seeing the build!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

well, he changed his mind and went with the plywood and face frame. we picked up the stuff today. the real fun starts next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails parts for bookcase.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Booooo plywood
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

got a good chunk of it out of the way today. basically all of the shelves and the top cut. tomorrow it will the the side's turn, then a light sanding, and apply the stain. aiming for final assembly on friday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010 first shelf about to be cut.jpg   020 shelves and top cut.jpg   030 sides to be cut.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

today the sides were cut to length, the notches for the toe kick cut, and started laying out the dadoes for the shelves. more to come tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 060 notches cut dadoes laid out.jpg   040 sides cut to length.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

these were supposed to be posted yesterday, but i was too darned tired to mess with it. finished taping the dadoes, and routed them. then my sister showed up to sand and paint pop's picnic table, and as she was babysitting our sister's grandson i guess that that would make me his grand-uncle (when did i get to be that old? lol),and he came with. he stopped in the garage to see what his old uncle was up to, and wanted to help. should have seen his eyes light up when i told him he could use the dust collector, but he had to sweep up first. he ran to find a broom, and swept up the whole garage, did a pretty good job too, for a six year old. i made him my official shop monkey, and gave him the shop name of biggy-d (his name is dominic), then i told him that that was the only thing he could run, but when he got older, i would show him how to use the other tools. then i showed him how to use the various types of clamps, and then put him to work holding a couple of the shelves during the test setup. right in the middle of explaining dado joints to him, my sister declared it was lunch time. he did one more sweep up after lunch, telling me that we couldn't do any more stuff until the floor was clean. then it was time for him to go back home. after the test set up was disassembled, it was time for staining, and then final assembly of the case. it was getting pretty dark, and still hot, when i called it a day after laying out the face frame parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 061 dadoes laid out and taped.jpg   062 all dadoes routed.jpg   063 new shop helper vacuuming.jpg   064 new shop helper holding shelf panels.jpg   065 test setup a.jpg  

066 test setup b.jpg   067 shelves stained.jpg   068 sides stained.jpg   069 case assembled.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

now that i have yesterday's fun out of the way, its time for today's fun! the bookcase was completed today! another project in the books. today i fitted out the face frame, staining as i went along. then i had to take the drum sander and its bench off of the mobile platform, and added some plywood to make the surface larger, and then pop and i rotated the bookcase onto the platform. called the landlord to let him know that it was stained, fully assembled, and ready to be picked up at his leisure. he will be picking it up next week. now it's back to my other projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 070 start of adding the face frame.jpg   071 face frame and toe kick a.jpg   072 face frame and toe kick b.jpg   073 finished bookcase a.jpg   074 finished bookcase b.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene