I guess something does not want me to use my jointer. Get to shop today and after all the effort to get jointer cleaned up from winter rust and sharpen and set knives, I then remember that its the very reason I need my generator. The Jointer I have is a 220v 3Hp grizz 656.
So sort out a temp hook into the generator and get to start the whole thing up. Discover the belt needs tightening so did that adjustment.
Then next time I started it poof a cloud of smoke and the Motor start capacitor blew.
So I am wondering .......was the cap affected by the past winter being stored out in the garage and freezing?
Has the starter switch failed to take it out of the circuit and it popped? could be but testing the switch which is normally closed and opens when centrifugal force causes it to do so well that's something I don't have a handle on how to do right now.
Other thing that has me wondering is if the voltage got too high for the cap. Generators don't produce clean power but that would normally be an issue to worry about for the running cap and that's still fine.
The motor start cap is rated 250v that would seem low to me for a unit that's a 220 motor considering some might run this off higher 240v depending on electric supply.
Don't know of a company locally that stocks these, Amazon would were not allowed to ship the one I found there to Canada, so I just ordered a new one from Grizz but now I got to wait for the shipping.
Generator produces 220v and is rated 6.250kw for startup and 5kw for continuous run.
Motor is 15 amps 220v so roughly 3300 watts should be plenty of spare capacity in generator for a start surge.
Anyone else here lost a motor start cap and just replaced and had no issues after. Thinking I should have ordered 2 at the same time just in case.
Would love to believe its just the cap that was on its way out but having a hard time believing it.
Anyone have any thoughts on whether the generator possibly caused this cap to go?