unbelievable

Dan Noren

Staff member
after i picked the wife :blah: up from the gym, she wanted to go with me to pop's to see what i was going to be up to in the shop. she wanted to know all the names of all the machines that i had, and what they did. on the agenda for today was making a smaller cutting board out of the odds and ends from the board for the fair. i showed her the sled setup, and how i was going to cut the parts. then i showed her the finer points of gluing and clamping. once the clamps were in place, we went for a walk around the nearby lake (nice evening for it too). when we got back, the glue was set up, and i showed her how to square up the board, and how to use the drum sander to flatten it out. tomorrow is finish sanding and oil. sorry, she wouldn't allow any pics.

after i picked the wife :blah: up from the gym, she wanted to go with me to pop's to see what i was going to be up to in the shop. she wanted to know all the names of all the machines that i had, and what they did. on the agenda for today was making a smaller cutting board out of the odds and ends from the board for the fair. i showed her the sled setup, and how i was going to cut the parts. then i showed her the finer points of gluing and clamping. once the clamps were in place, we went for a walk around the nearby lake (nice evening for it too). when we got back, the glue was set up, and i showed her how to square up the board, and how to use the drum sander to flatten it out. tomorrow is finish sanding and oil. sorry, she wouldn't allow any pics.

she spared you the embarrassment of pictures, doesn't want to show you up, show how easy it is, bang out a few boards on her first try.

Dan, isn't it great when LOYL shows a real interest in your woodworking?

In my case, my wife was familiar with a lot of tools from growing up around her grandfather and, to some extent, her ex. She easily came to another level as I got farther along with my woodworking. It's been interesting to see her in action when I have our woodworking group for a meeting in my shop. She can explain to newbies the purpose of every machine in my shop, although she has no interest in actually using any of the power tools!

oh well, at least i got a pic of the board after i got it home. the board itself is about 8 1/2" x 13 3/4", and is going to one of her friends from church who is a pretty serious cook.

Attachments

• extra parts board.jpg
    extra parts board.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 45
thanks al! i'll find out tomorrow morning how well the board was received, as i noticed both that my wife :blah: had the board in her church bag, and the person's car was in the parking lot.

oh well, at least i got a pic of the board after i got it home. the board itself is about 8 1/2" x 13 3/4", and is going to one of her friends from church who is a pretty serious cook.

That is one beautiful board. However, I would worry about my wife cutting her fingers. You have an optical illusion that would affect some people.

Enjoy,
Your friendly retired eye-doc.

You have no idea how much it upset me to feel I had to write the above. It is such a beautiful board.

COngrats on getting your wife interested in woodworking. Nice board, too. :thumb:

That is one beautiful board. However, I would worry about my wife cutting her fingers. You have an optical illusion that would affect some people...

It's just a matter of using the right knife. Here's the one I've used on one of the 3-D boards I made a few years ago...

3-D%20Knife.jpg

Should have used it for this photo, though...

3-D%20Maple%20Walnut%20Purple%20Heart%202%20500.jpg