Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was it Yahoo's fault?

was it Yahoo's fault?

I have been using Yahoo as my browser homepage for years. But, for about the past six months, all Internet usage has been giving me fits. Slow to open pages, things freezing. Frustrating. I have been rebooting half a dozen times a day. But, this morning, on a reboot, I noticed that Yahoo, and a news item I wanted to read, was opening really slowly and it dawned on me that Yahoo might be the real problem. I switched my internet options to make Google my homepage. Now, browser opens instantly, as does FW and others. Methinks, mebbe Yahoo has gotten too big and complex for it's server britches. And to think, I almost had downloaded Firefox as an alternative. Whew! Close call.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I have been using Yahoo as my browser homepage for years. But, for about the past six months, all Internet usage has been giving me fits. Slow to open pages, things freezing. Frustrating. I have been rebooting half a dozen times a day. But, this morning, on a reboot, I noticed that Yahoo, and a news item I wanted to read, was opening really slowly and it dawned on me that Yahoo might be the real problem. I switched my internet options to make Google my homepage. Now, browser opens instantly, as does FW and others. Methinks, mebbe Yahoo has gotten too big and complex for it's server britches. And to think, I almost had downloaded Firefox as an alternative. Whew! Close call.
    Frank,

Makes sense that it would be your problem. Google's is just search, but yahoo's a full blown portal. There is a ton of things to load... images, etc. If the server where the images are cached is slow, or if your ISP is doing the akamai thing, the whole thing could be slower than a razorback in a cypress swamp...

BTW, you *should* switch to firefox. It's what all the cool kids are smoking these days...

Thanks,

Bill

I have been using Yahoo as my browser homepage for years. ...... I switched my internet options to make Google my homepage. Now, browser opens instantly ...... And to think, I almost had downloaded Firefox as an alternative. Whew! Close call.
    Frank,

I use Firefox and have for years. I used it initially because it had tabbed browsing and IE did not. Now that IE has tabbed browsing and easier control (for a computer ijit like me) of the security features, I'm not sure there's any real advantage to FF.

Also, have you tried using a blank page for your home page rather than loading a website? That has to be the fasted startup going ... no waiting at all.

cheers eh?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Frank,

I'm not sure there's any real advantage to FF.
    FF is less a resource hog.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones View Post
    FF is less a resource hog.

And like Martha would say ... "that's a good thing"

cheers eh?

If I switched to Fire Fox and liked it, I would have to put up with my son saying, "I told you so...". Not gonna happen.

If I switched to Fire Fox and liked it, I would have to put up with my son saying, "I told you so...". Not gonna happen.
    See you have to make him think it was your idea. My wifes cousin does it all the time. I'll suggest something, he disagrees then 3 or 4 weeks later does it that way.

Don't let your son hold you back, this time he is right

Actually, without Yahoo open all runs well.
    But, I found Yahoo is very tenacious. This morning Yahoo was back as my homepage even though I had changed to Google. I now have set to blank. Later, I'll delete all cookies, history and other assorted invaders and see if Yahoo will stay gone.

Frank I would say off hand that you have a problem with adware or viruses. Yahoo will not slow your web page loading like that. It is also possible that it is network congestion in your provider's network. Network providers play the bandwidth game all the time knowing that end users are 90% of the time not downloading (software, files and web browsing). That is the end users are intermittent users giving ISPs the opportunity to over-exploit their bandwidth resources. When the customer base grows to large then they scale their resources accordingly. On the other hand I would also check your own PC for adware and viruses. If you don't have a paid for updated virus protection software (read extortion software) then download a freeware program like Avast and do a scan. Avast is what I use and find it works great.

I concur with Alex...if your homepage is getting reset, I'd strongly suspect adware or a virus. I'm pretty certain Yahoo would not do that. No legitimate business would.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com