Could be a new chapter in my life starting soon...

John Pollman

Feeling a bit nervous tonight...

This pretty much caught me by surprise and fell into my lap, but I have a job interview in the morning!

It's been a LONG time since I've interviewed for a job. For the past 17 years, I've been pretty much a full time parent and worked for myself in the trades when time allowed. I'm not even completely sure what the position will entail and if I can handle the physical aspects of it. It is with a sign shop and I do have quite a bit of experience with cutting and creating vinyl signs. I've had a cutter for about eight years and been doing custom decals, signs, boat graphics, etc. Hopefully that experience will come in handy.

I hope to get some sleep tonight, but I doubt it.

Wish me luck!

With all your experience you have nothing to be concerned about. That is why you are having the interview, because of your knowledge & actual experience. Be confident of your skill sets, which is something they don't have. Not going to wish you luck as you don't need it, instead, make your own luck with the talents you already possess.

Thanks all!

Surprisingly, I got a decent night's sleep last night. This could be a very good thing. Because of my disability, working in the trades is for the most part coming to an end. (at least as a profession) I've had a vinyl cutter for about eight years and have been making signs, custom decals, boat graphics, etc. I enjoy it and have quite a bit of experience with it. This position is part time right now I think. But I'm pretty sure that he is looking for a full time person too. If the job is something that I can handle and he likes my work, full time shouldn't be an issue. I've got a little bit of stamina issue right now that might make an eight hour day a bit of a challenge. But I had some blood work done last week and should have the results when I go back for my physical on the 15th. The doctor thinks that she knows what might be wrong and we can get it fixed and move on. They can't cure my major issue, but by simply starting to eat better and more often, it should help my energy level. I hope to be able to transition to full time soon. Getting out of the house, making a few bucks, and actually DOING SOMETHING other than worry about the future will be a GOOD thing!

Now the waiting begins. Hopefully it's not a long wait. If I do get it, I should know very soon. He says that they are slammed with work and need to get someone in there. It turns out that I'll be working in the fabrication shop building channel letters. I've always wondered how they do that and it looks like something I could enjoy doing. He says it's a pretty automated process and the machines cut and bend the metal and there's a machine that cuts the acrylic for the face. Then they just need to be assembled, install the LED lights, then do final assembly of the sign. I'm hoping that I get it!

Lee_Balterman_Untitled_woman_with_crossed_fingers_1808_67.jpg

I'm pretty bummed at this point. It's been two days and I haven't heard anything. I'm assuming that I didn't get it. :(
The interview seemed to go well. They asked me why I was getting out of the trades. I didn't go into a lot of detail, but I told them that I had been diagnosed with Tay Sachs and that I couldn't continue to do the type of work that I was used to. My wife seems to think that was the wrong thing to say in an interview. I'm sure it didn't help my case, but I'm NOT going to lie about it! She said that maybe I should have waited until a second interview. But WHY? I've got the condition and it isn't going away. Why not get it out on the table right up front?

I hate to do it, but I think I'm going to call my insurance company today and cancel my Builder's liability policy. I had a quarterly premium due a couple weeks ago but there is a grace period. I'm not doing much anymore anyway and it costs me almost $700 a year for the coverage. At this point, it's time to admit that I can't do it anymore and move on.

Just a little more depressed than usual today. I was kind of looking forward to this job. I think it's something I could have done and enjoyed doing.