My wife will be going topless...

Looking good, Darren. :thumb:

I hear ya on the factory GPS. When I bought my 2001 Lexus in 2004, it had the built-in nav system, and I immediately got hooked on having a GPS in my cars. But map updates from the dealer were somewhere around $500 - half of that was for the updated DVD-ROM, and the other half was the labor to install it in the deeply hidden DVD player somewhere in the rear quarter panel. :rolleyes: So now I drive with two GPS systems: The legacy system IN the dash that shows where the roads used to go in 2000, and the Garmin ON the dash that gets updated every 6 months or so for free. :D

For about $20 I downloaded a Japanese navi app for my iPhone, it has all the maps locally on the iPhone, so even when I'm out in the mountains and I don't have cell service the map app works fine, as it does not need to download anything, just uses the GPS chip in the phone. It has turn by turn navigation too, I really like the app, the only thing that is a bit of a challenge is that it is only in Japanese. :D

I have a mount on my mini van dash that works well as well as one on my long ride bicycle that also works.

Cheers!

+1 on not buying car manufacturers GPS systems. In my view the car manufacturers have used the advent of accessories to alter their business model much like our gas stations. They make more from the accessories than the car same as our gas stations make more from the convenience store than the gas. :) I dont support either. :D

I dont just like that Jeep......I love it and especially the color. :thumb: Had a red VW micro bus once and loved that color on a car. She is gonna have fun in that baby.

For about $20 I downloaded a Japanese navi app for my iPhone, it has all the maps locally on the iPhone, so even when I'm out in the mountains and I don't have cell service the map app works fine, as it does not need to download anything, just uses the GPS chip in the phone. It has turn by turn navigation too, I really like the app, the only thing that is a bit of a challenge is that it is only in Japanese. :D

I have a mount on my mini van dash that works well as well as one on my long ride bicycle that also works.

Cheers!

1/3 of the rear view mirror in my truck is a GPS running off an XM antenna. It works amazingly well!! Sometimes in the mountains, it may leave me 1/4 mile off...but then we revert to a time tested method...read the mailbox #'s.

I see that our speed here in Tokyo is poking along...

.... life in the big city I guess.

So what do you pay monthly for internet speeds like that?

From what I've seen on surveys, much of Asia seems to understand the benefits of providing high speed internet. They've had at least two projects in my county alone that have tried placing fiber to the home for gigabit speeds, both seemed to have been squashed by the mobile/tele carriers here as they wouldn't have control over pricing. Of course Google fiber won't be coming out to my neck of the woods anytime soon either, guess that's what I get for wanting to be away from all the hustle and bustle.

So what do you pay monthly for internet speeds like that?

From what I've seen on surveys, much of Asia seems to understand the benefits of providing high speed internet. They've had at least two projects in my county alone that have tried placing fiber to the home for gigabit speeds, both seemed to have been squashed by the mobile/tele carriers here as they wouldn't have control over pricing. Of course Google fiber won't be coming out to my neck of the woods anytime soon either, guess that's what I get for wanting to be away from all the hustle and bustle.
I think the monthly internet bill is about $40, but when you sign up you get something like 6 months free if you sign a two year contract, so you 30 months for the price of 24 months, so that works out to $32 a month? It is the FLETS or fiber optic stuff.

I think the monthly internet bill is about $40, but when you sign up you get something like 6 months free if you sign a two year contract, so you 30 months for the price of 24 months, so that works out to $32 a month? It is the FLETS or fiber optic stuff.

Wow, that is a great deal, I think I pay around $70 for what I get. :doh:

Garmin must have liked my thread here...just got an email from them...

"Hi Darren,

Garmin has exciting opportunities! We are currently recruiting for Web Developers with Java experience for our corporate office in Olathe, KS.

If you would like to hear more about these opportunities or know someone that would, please feel free to contact me directly at vaughn.*****@garmin.com and/or go to www.garmin.com and apply online. Thank you for your consideration.

Vaughn *****
vaughn.*****@garmin.com
"

:D

Wow, that is a great deal, I think I pay around $70 for what I get. :doh:
That is just the internet, for the phone line we pay another $35 or so.

Here this will make you feel better, this is what I get in the Dungeon.....

and I pay....ah, just a second, I pay nothing for that:rolleyes: I host a hotspot for a local cell phone carrier so they gave me the equipment and set it up and I now have a hot spot of free WiFi in the Dungeon and it makes my cell phone work too down here, and all I have to pay is the electricity.... I think maybe those routers suck a lot of power right? :D

Last edited:
Stu, I have several Navigation/Travel/GPS apps for my phone, but none of them compare feature-wise or ease of use-wise with my Garmin Nuvi. The screen is bigger and easier to decipher at a glance while driving than anything I've tried on my phone. Things like how far to the next turn and whitch direction, what lane(s) to be in prior to the turn, speed limit, current speed, and other handy info.

Garmin must have liked my thread here...just got an email from them...

"Hi Darren,

Garmin has exciting opportunities! We are currently recruiting for Web Developers with Java experience for our corporate office in Olathe, KS.

If you would like to hear more about these opportunities or know someone that would, please feel free to contact me directly at vaughn.*****@garmin.com and/or go to www.garmin.com and apply online. Thank you for your consideration.

Vaughn *****
vaughn.*****@garmin.com
"

:D

I would never, ever trust someone with a shady name like that. What kind of horrific last name must he have to want to hide it behind asterisks? :rofl: