Tomato Basil Pasta - Delicious and EASY!

John Pollman

I need to get my cholesterol down and I can't take any of the current cholesterol meds that are currently out there because they can make my other condition worse. I found this recipe today and tried it. It's DELICIOUS! It didn't originally call for the chicken but I had some on hand that I wanted to use up so I added it to the recipe and it worked out great. It's VERY tasty and healthy dish!

Tomato Basil Pasta!
No Straining, just Stirring
Pasta, Tomatoes, Veggie Broth, Olive Oil, and Seasonings (details below)

Throw it all in the pot, INCLUDING the uncooked Pasta, and cook! - Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The starch leaches out of the pasta and makes a rich, warm sauce for the noodles. The other ingredients cook right along with the pasta

Ingredients
12 ounces pasta (I used Linguine)
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used zesty red pepper flavor)
1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil, chopped
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Directions
Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired .

Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

NOTE:
I took a couple boneless chicken breasts and rubbed them with some extra virgin olive oil then seasoned them with some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and grilled them. Took them off the grill and allowed them to cool a short time and then diced them and added them to the pasta about half way through the cooking process.

Tomato Basil Pasta.jpg

This forum makes me hungry each time i read a post. Sound like a great dish John, just read the recipe to Linda and she loves tomato any time of the day so maybe she will give it a go for us some day.

That sounds like a great dish John. Can't have any Gluten unless it's the weekend, my wife is doing a diet and been on a roll (13 lbs so far). By default, I'm on a diet too and having to eat many of the same meals. :doh:

My wife is die hard Italian so we're gonna have a lash at this John! What would you recommend if I make fresh pasta?

Frank,
It's just like a beef or chicken broth, but it's made with vegetables. You can buy it wherever you would buy beef or chicken broth. Actually, because I added chicken to my version of the dish, I think chicken broth would work fine too.