How would attach this?

Jeff Horton

Making a bed. I know, I am supposed to be working on two other projects I have talked about. I decided to clean out the shop this is one of two projects that have been on hold for a while. Besides it's a quick project.

Headboard is a 1 3/8' solid wood panel. There are 3" square posts on the ends(corners of the bed). The panel is heavy but there is no load on it. Posts are mitered and made from 1" poplar.

I am looking for ideas as to how to attach the posts to the panel? I have tossed around a couple of ideas but there might be a better one.
I thought about cutting a dado and inserting the panel. Good and strong but lots of work
Putting in two or three dowels and butting the panel to posts. Gluing the joint.
Easy way out and screws and glue. Then plug over the heads. (my least favorite idea).

Anyone got a better idea? The dado is the best, just the slowest to do.

bed.jpg

Duhh, :rolleyes: Why didn't I think of that! I have the jig I built and some left over tenon stock from building the garage doors! I could rout the mortises in the frame with the jig I have. Chop the ones in the post with a chisel in short order. Use the loose tenon stock I have left over. :rolleyes: And the grain is running the same direction too. So easy!

Of course that is why I asked! Thanks Mark for the reminder.

Jeff,

A wedged tenon would be good for that, depending on if you've made the panels already.

A double dovetail is a pretty cool joint that would also, if you've seen that one.

Through mortise would be plenty strong. Probably shouldn't go more than 1/3rd the thickness of the frame though.

jeff, what i`m seeing appears to be frame and panel construction? if this is the case glue-n-clamps are all that`s needed. you`d effectively be gluing edge to face grain so movement shouldn`t be an issue with that joint..the only reason i can see for using either a dado or tennons is alignment, the glue joint by itself will be stronger than the wood......tod

Even with this forum being so new, lots of great ideas/talent here.

Tod, it is a frame and panel construction. It's a recylcing project too. The panel is an old one, nice old pine lumber. I like just gluing it up because it's simple, but seems so easy. :) But yes, you are right too. Will make a choice as to what to do tonight.

Waiting to post some photos latter this week. Wanted to have some fun with it. Play a guessing game. :cool: