Putter Palace - Fire in the hole!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
To bring everyone up to date. The Putter Palace is a 24' cargo trailer that is undergoing a metamorphosis into a shop trailer. It will be towed behind my motorhome when I move from one community to another as an interim minister. A move is coming up, likely before the end of this year.

the rig.jpg

The entire inside has been painted white to better reflect light, and while Larry was here for Burning Wood, he helped install two air vents in the roof. What a relief that was in the last few rather hot weeks! Thanks, Larry.

Then to have room to work in there, I fitted out the ramp to be a covered porch. See http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?30914-Putter-Palace-Porch

And now...
We have power! Saw sings. Lathe spins, air compressor pumps, outlets work. Life is good.

TS SW & outet.jpg

Lathe & AC sw:plug.jpg

Panel.jpg

some plugs.jpg

Lights next. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Love it! I spend ~300 nights a year out in the RV. I call myself a 'most of the timer' not quite a full timer, but the heart is there. I prefer my fifth wheel over my house, leaps and bounds. I'm loving what you have going on here. How does that work in the RV parks? I'd assume it would be a fairly noisy setup-no complaints on that? Do you get a second spot to be able to power that beast? I'm guessing that thing needs it's own 50 amp service?

Thus far, Justin, not an issue with noise. One, the power just got set up, so no real noise yet. Also, at this time of the year, the park is a ghost town. No real close neighbors. The only screamer tools are the routers, so have to plan when to use them. I can switch the MH to the big on board generator and plug in the Putter Palace to the pedestal instead for the duration, so no second spot required. Yes, I need the 50 amp service for the 220v for the table saw and the lathe. I can adapt to 30 amp service but lose the use of those two tools. This is a learning project.

Carol i note you have done something that i have always thought should be mandatory. On one outlet you put a switch in the box. I presume that is a switched outlet.
Where i came from every outlet had a switch so you could cut power before plugging in or removing an appliance. Yeah it added a little inconvenience and cost but was a way safer method in my view. I dont know why that aint code here. It would also make it easier to totally kill the appliances we have around our home that burn leds all night and leak away electricity.
Nice looking job on the electrics. I like the way you labeled it all. I had done the same in my old shop. come to think of it there is another improvement that should be code that is at least labeling the receptacles such that one knows which breaker they go back to at the board.

:thumb: looking good.

come to think of it there is another improvement that should be code that is at least labeling the receptacles such that one knows which breaker they go back to at the board.

I have three circuits in the garage and coincidentally that was just how many colors of outlets home depot had handy. Note I can tell at a glance red circuit, black circuit or white circuit.

I do love the normal circuit labeling around here though, "second bedroom second outlet"... Uh there are three bedrooms and um four outlets per.. So what does that mean. If we had labeled cables like that when I was doing low voltage someone would have been shown the door.

That's pretty cool looking work shop on wheels.... I did a craft show in Lenoir City a couple of years back... we were on the edge of a parking lot and out in the middle of the lot a fellow pulled in with a trailer about the size of yours, he chocked the wheels, level it with jacks and started opening the sides... he made wood router signs... he had a complete store in that trailer where he made the signs while his wife sold them... they had wood stored, the router tables, sounded like a saw and compressor and I suspect anything else he needed like fans as it was hot on that parking lot (until it rained as I was packing up).... he did have some "A" frame signs out front for advertisement, and a few other things he was selling... when the show was over, it all went back in, he closed all the sides and towed it away.