how to teach an old dog a new trick?

larry merlau

was over to my dads today and he wanted to show me his latest project, good he's still after it:thumb: but he was tellin me how he had to make atrim piece for it and showed me the first try, that had gotten away from him on the router table... well as soon as i saw the setup i couldnt belive he was doing it that way... he was passing the piece between the fence and the bit and with just finger and push block pressure...:eek: i proceded to tell him that wasnt the way to do it and told him why and showed him that it could be done the right way and not hav the burn marks he was gettin... so my question is how do we tell our elders that what they are doing isnt the correct way i remeber that when i was kid if were told i couldnt do something i would try it sometimes just for spite.. and yup i got whaled for it wheni got caught..

I always respected my folks.
Especially after the first major whupping:eek:

Those situations, I just said--

Hey Mom, lets try it this way and see if it helps.

yeah steve i remeber

i even had to have him help me get into that darn penguin suit and i had to help him button his shirt at the neckline it was to tight for his fingers or mine then we had tie his tie it was funny and we both took it well:)

Not that this is exactly the same but...

My Dad has never owned a TS. Everything he has done has been with a Craftsman 10 in radial arm saw from the 70s (when he bought it new).

He gave me a funny look when I told him I bought a TS. He said those things are backwards and dangerous. :dunno:

I remember even as a kid, everytime he fired that thing up it scared the heck out of me. :eek: It still does to this day. I shudder just thinking about him ripping a board or using a dado blade with it.

I'm going to keep on him to get a TS, not that his RAS doesn't have a place. For his safety (and my piece of mind) I think it is safer to rip on a TS.