Thread: Dimensions for a Patio Table

Dimensions for a Patio Table

I'm building a patio table that is 28 inches square and 28 inches high. What would be good proportions for the legs? I'm thinking 1 3/4 square, is that too skinny? The other dimensions are dictated by my boss and can not be changed.

Thank you, DKT

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dietrich,
    Sorry this thread seemed to have gotten lost but I'll try to answer it for ya. It really depends on how the table is made if it is a traditional design with and apron and legs then it would probably be ok at 1 3/4" I my self hat just having square straight legs so I might taper them a little to give em a more elegant look. Something like I did in this
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Since you are locked in on a couple of dimensions, you might try drawing those to scale and then try a few different sized legs and see how it looks. This is the perfect job for SketchUp. Free download and easy to learn.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Dimensions for patio table

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    SketchUp. Free download and easy to learn.
    Thank you for the suggestions, appreciate them. Yes I have Sketchup (including Cutlist, I think it's called and works great) and will have tapered legs to. One of my big problems is not enough wood (I'm using Brazilian Cherry) to try out different designs. I'm going to build this and maybe someday even post some pictures here.

DKT

if you're using brazilian cherry, that's going to be table with some weight to it. i made a small side table out of it for a friend of mine, 2' square, and 2' tall, and it came out at a little over 72 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finished table 1.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich Trenner View Post
    One of my big problems is not enough wood (I'm using Brazilian Cherry) to try out different designs. I'm going to build this and maybe someday even post some pictures here.

DKT
    Wait. i see some leverage here. If the dimensions are forced then the material budget may need adjusting .
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke