Dimensions for a Patio Table

I'm building a patio table that is 28 inches square and 28 inches high. What would be good proportions for the legs? I'm thinking 1 3/4 square, is that too skinny? The other dimensions are dictated by my boss and can not be changed.

Thank you, DKT

Dietrich,
Sorry this thread seemed to have gotten lost but I'll try to answer it for ya. It really depends on how the table is made if it is a traditional design with and apron and legs then it would probably be ok at 1 3/4" I my self hat just having square straight legs so I might taper them a little to give em a more elegant look. Something like I did in this
attachment.php

Since you are locked in on a couple of dimensions, you might try drawing those to scale and then try a few different sized legs and see how it looks. This is the perfect job for SketchUp. Free download and easy to learn.

Dimensions for patio table

SketchUp. Free download and easy to learn.

Thank you for the suggestions, appreciate them. Yes I have Sketchup (including Cutlist, I think it's called and works great) and will have tapered legs to. One of my big problems is not enough wood (I'm using Brazilian Cherry) to try out different designs. I'm going to build this and maybe someday even post some pictures here.

DKT

if you're using brazilian cherry, that's going to be table with some weight to it. i made a small side table out of it for a friend of mine, 2' square, and 2' tall, and it came out at a little over 72 lbs.

Attachments

• finished table 1.JPG
    finished table 1.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 8
One of my big problems is not enough wood (I'm using Brazilian Cherry) to try out different designs. I'm going to build this and maybe someday even post some pictures here.

DKT

Wait. i see some leverage here. If the dimensions are forced then the material budget may need adjusting :D.