One Advantage of the Underground Shop

Stuart Ablett

There are many disadvantages of my underground Dungeon workshop, but today, I can show you one significant advantage.....

hot_humid_zps1c290086.jpg

That is the temp and humidity outside today around 3PM, it had cooled a fair bit from the high around 1PM, that is 36.5C/97.7F it was at least 38C/100.4F at 1PM, and look at that humidity!

Here is the Dungeon......
ae115503-9712-41cc-b61c-7d99837d288d_zps183862ac.jpg

yep about 26C/78.8F and the humidity is a tick under 40%. Yes I do have an AC down in the Dungeon, but it is NOT blasting away, it is set on Dry, mainly to keep the humidity out of the air and the rust off my tools.

Maybe them Hobbits have it right?

Cheers!

I hear you. We had a heat wave a few weeks ago and I was very glad to be in the basement doing plumbing. Just supply plumbing - I think I would have preferred the heat to drain plumbing. :eek:

I'm picturing Tokyo rush hour on the train in that temp/humidity, Stu. Luckily I've never been there in mid-summer. Not built for hot countries. We had about a week of low 30's and humidity here in July and everyone thought they were going to perish!

The Dungeon's cool in more ways than one :thumb:

I'm picturing Tokyo rush hour on the train in that temp/humidity, Stu. Luckily I've never been there in mid-summer. Not built for hot countries. We had about a week of low 30's and humidity here in July and everyone thought they were going to perish!

The Dungeon's cool in more ways than one :thumb:

I'm not built for the humidity, the heat is fine, where I come from in BC it gets very hot in the summer, but not this freaking humidity!

I don't mind the heat either... I like Tucson where the summers reach 110+ on some days... but the humidity was 6... but moved back to Houston for cooler temps, higher humidity.... then retired to TN, lower temps still, but the other day the computer reported the temp at 78 and humidity at 99%... 'course it was raining off and on that day. My shop is a tin building, but sits under a big oak on one side and big elm on the other... the inside temp usually reaches a max of about 85, but with a fan blowing it's not unbearable.