Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: allen had best not look at this board....

allen had best not look at this board....

well, i put my foot in it this time! this is the oddest board i've made to date. it is maple, cherry, and walnut, and is designed to give allen a headache if he looks at it too long. details to follow as construction occurs, but for now, i have all of the lumber for this and another project, all of the parts cut, then planed to thickness (1/4"), and the first blank glued up, and then the rest glued up. can't wait to finish this one up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001 boards for projects.jpg   002 maple parts cut.jpg   003 walnut parts cut.jpg   004 cherry parts cut.jpg   005 all parts planed to thickness.jpg  

006 first set glued up.jpg   007 last sets in glued up.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Wait a minute, one of those boards said birch on it. Was that the special maple birch?

nope, that one and a couple of the walnut boards are for another project i didn't get to this weekend.
    benedictione omnes bene

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Son ofa birchen typo's

Looking forward to seeing the final results!

edit: shucks too slow I was!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

well, made a bit more progress today. i found that i needed more of the maple blocks, and had a surplus of walnut blocks. while the new maple and cherry blank was setting up, i planed the bottoms of the other blanks, and started working on the second go round of the new wine bottle holder. once the new blank was set up, it got its bottom planed too. then it was over to the planer to bring them all down to the the same thickness, and cutting the squares. as can happen at times, i had a bit of a boo boo while cutting the squares. instead of waiting for the blade on the miter saw to stop, i let it up and >bing<, one or more of the teeth caught the blank and sent it into my finger tip, causing a small gouge, a bit of blood, and no small amount of surprise (like all good lessons, this one hurt a bit too). no worries, a bit of a bruise and a small cut. after that, the reset of the cuts went ok. on a side note, there are 48 walnut squares, and 35 cherry squares. while we were at the y, i set up the squares in the proper orientation, and thankfully everything was nice and square. now it is on to making a jig to make the necessary cuts to realign the direction of the strips. sorry about not too much detail with the squares, don't want to give allen any more headaches.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008 last bit of cherry glued up.jpg   0009 bottoms planed flat.jpg   010 planed to thickness.jpg   011 cherry parts cut.jpg   012 walnut parts cut.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

now that the bookcase is out of the way, i can get back to this bit of torture. i have already designed a jig to cut the parts to the needed shape, and got a start in building it tonight. it was a little too late to do more than get this part of it done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013 beginning of jig for recutting.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

ok, now on to the really scary part , recutting all of the squares. having the jig with the hold down will make it that much safer. i have decided to post a little teaser pic, of the blocks set up, and the board that is yet to be. more pics to follow after the cutting is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 014 idea of what is to come.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

well, the really scary part is done, the new jig worked like a charm, and all of the parts (83 of them) came out nice and square. now the really fun part, gluing all of those parts together. can't wait to sand it, and hit it with the oil. this one is definitely going to next year's state fair. my wife has laid claim to this board, but not as a cutting board, it's too nice for cutting chicken on, it's a work of art. so she is going to laminate a photo on it, and hang it on the wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 015 finished jig.jpg   016 first of 83.jpg   017 parts laid out after recutting.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Very nice. I hope the glue-up isn't done yet, though. I noticed one of your pieces is upside down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Noren Board Annotated.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	78088
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

thanks vaughn, i didn't notice that one. the glue up doesn't start until tomorrow. i just wanted to see how it looked with a quick setup.
    benedictione omnes bene