Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Barn Raising - ALL moved in

Barn Raising - ALL moved in

Just as I walked in from work I got the call on the 'better' jobI had been waiting for. I will not be heading to Florida later this summer after all. Instead I get to build my shop here as the LOML and I had a LONG heart to heart chat this weekend and we're going to refit our house and stay here for at least another year (figure it will take that long to afford the repairs).
    Staying here, however means that I get to build my small shop, so tonight I'm going to be working up the bare bones costs to put up my barn shop. It will be as big as I can afford, which is likely going to be 12x16, possibly 12x20 if I can afford the lumber. If not, I can always add on at a later date. I've had the plans for this shop for almost 6 years, so I've had plenty of time to think about what and how I want things (initially at least) I hope to have it up and at least dried in by June. I will start getting lumber quotes this week, and renew my building permit once I get my ducks in a row.
    It will look something like this:

though from the house it will look more like this (site limitations)

I'll likely add a porch on one end, and the doors will definitely be on the end of the building. the shop will have a loft over at least 1/2 of it, so the square footage will be 192 on the 1st floor plus 96 of loft space (lumber and bulk storage).

Here's my pretty basic floorplan. The major tools will all be accounted for, and the storage cabinet is a tambour door tape storage cabinet which I'll add shelving to store all sorts of things.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 08-25-2008 at 02:17 AM.
    -Ned

Good news, Ned! Look forward to your updates on the shop. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Ned,

It's cool you get to build your own shop, even if it's not giant. If you can, think about "stealing" some space. I've got about 8 flat feet before the driveway hill starts, and everything's on wheels. I can open the gara..err, shop, door, and roll a machine or two out there. You wouldn't believe what a difference that extra space makes, even though I can only use it a few months a year...

Thanks,

Bill

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Ned,
    Sounds like a fun project. A couple of thoughts....

Windows are pretty, but they rob you of wall space. In a small shop, you need all the hanging space you can get.

Doors, on the other hand, can still hold stuff, even if they get opened.

Best barn/shed arrangement I ever had was a roll in/roll out wide door on the end and a walk-in/out door in the middle. Frequently one door or the other was blocked, but I appreciated having them when I needed them.

Be sure and make that floor stout. And, after seeing your snow pics, better make the roof pretty stout, too.

Are you going to try to use it in the winter? That will present some fun challenges

Keep us informed, wish I could pop over and help, but its a lonnggg way
    Don't believe everything you think!

Ned,
    Late last Summer, I built a 12 X 20 barn - for storage - benind my shop. A local lumber company (Carter Lumber) had a 'kit' that cost me right at $2,500.00. While not really a kit in the true sense of the word, it did include all the materials needed to build the barn, and a set of plan drawings. Much cutting and fitting was needed.

My barn has " sheathing on the sides and gambrel, and 25 year shingles on the gambrel with vinyl siding on the walls. It has one 5' double door and (only) one small window. It's about 14' high to the peak, with right at 8' to the underside of the trusses.

It'd make a pretty nice small shop, and $2,500.00 isn't all that bad a price. You would have to add electricity, of course, so that would add a bit. There may well be a local lumber dealer in your area with a similar deal. Certainly worth checking around.
    Jim D.

Bill,
    that's my plan with the porch, which will likely be 'phase two'. First off I just want my stuff out of my storage unit and under roof here at the house. It is going to be pretty basic at first, with upgrades as I go along throughout the summer... little things like insulation, a propane furnace, etc... Initial goals are 'dry and weather tight' Then I'll fret about things like 'windows' and the 'ideal' tool layout. Heck, there are three tools in the layout which I don't even Own yet, the lathe, bandsaw and jointer are still on the wish list. I'll have 'loads' of room (yeah right!) Former Creekers might recall that just about a year ago I was gearing up for this same project, but the work environment just didn't lend itself to my having any energy when I finally got home.

Jesse,
    I was planning on a couple of small windows high up on one of the long walls (southern face) and just one on the western face for cross ventilation. I will also put a haymow door/window up on the non lofted end for more natural light. the floor will be well supported. I'll see about the 2nd door on the long wall, have to see how things work out.
    I'll be sure and have a pot of coffee on if you (or anyone for that matter) wants to come visit, before/during or after the shop is raised.

Jim,
    I'll be sure and look into kits, there are a couple of lumber yards in the area which cater to the DIY'er. I'm also leaning towards my local hardware/lumber yard. I'll even pay a little extra to them if they're within a reasonable range.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 04-03-2007 at 12:46 AM.
    -Ned

Last year before John and I shut down our shared shop, I cut all of what I considered the 'tough' cuts for the trusses, so I have those all set and ready to go in the storage unit.

what I have is NOT assembled trusses, I have the plywood parts and the short pieces of each truss pre-cut including the bird's mouths. The long chord of each truss section is a 'field cut' per the plans I have, and I didn't buy those before I shut down the project last year. (I was buying and storing as I could afford parts and pieces)
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 04-03-2007 at 01:26 AM.
    -Ned

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Wow, That's awsome Ned. Congratulations.

DT

Hi Ned,
    This is a great and exciting time for you and your bride.
    Congratulations and good luck wishes for this coming year. All looks exciting!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Hey Ned, congratulations on getting a DECISION made, and especially on the upcoming shop. Now THAT project ought to keep you out of Mischief for a while.