Barn Raising - ALL moved in

Ned Bulken

Just as I walked in from work I got the call on the 'better' jobI had been waiting for. I will not be heading to Florida later this summer after all. Instead I get to build my shop here as the LOML and I had a LONG heart to heart chat this weekend and we're going to refit our house and stay here for at least another year (figure it will take that long to afford the repairs).
Staying here, however means that I get to build my small shop, so tonight I'm going to be working up the bare bones costs to put up my barn shop. It will be as big as I can afford, which is likely going to be 12x16, possibly 12x20 if I can afford the lumber. If not, I can always add on at a later date. I've had the plans for this shop for almost 6 years, so I've had plenty of time to think about what and how I want things (initially at least) I hope to have it up and at least dried in by June. I will start getting lumber quotes this week, and renew my building permit once I get my ducks in a row.
It will look something like this:
workingbarnpicture.jpg

though from the house it will look more like this (site limitations)

macler.jpg

I'll likely add a porch on one end, and the doors will definitely be on the end of the building. the shop will have a loft over at least 1/2 of it, so the square footage will be 192 on the 1st floor plus 96 of loft space (lumber and bulk storage).

Here's my pretty basic floorplan. The major tools will all be accounted for, and the storage cabinet is a tambour door tape storage cabinet which I'll add shelving to store all sorts of things.
barnfloorplan.jpg

Last edited:
Ned,

It's cool you get to build your own shop, even if it's not giant. If you can, think about "stealing" some space. I've got about 8 flat feet before the driveway hill starts, and everything's on wheels. I can open the gara..err, shop, door, and roll a machine or two out there. You wouldn't believe what a difference that extra space makes, even though I can only use it a few months a year... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Ned,
Sounds like a fun project. A couple of thoughts....

Windows are pretty, but they rob you of wall space. In a small shop, you need all the hanging space you can get.

Doors, on the other hand, can still hold stuff, even if they get opened.

Best barn/shed arrangement I ever had was a roll in/roll out wide door on the end and a walk-in/out door in the middle. Frequently one door or the other was blocked, but I appreciated having them when I needed them.

Be sure and make that floor stout.:rolleyes: And, after seeing your snow pics, better make the roof pretty stout, too.:eek:

Are you going to try to use it in the winter? That will present some fun challenges:huh:

Keep us informed, wish I could pop over and help, but its a lonnggg way:rolleyes:

Ned,
Late last Summer, I built a 12 X 20 barn - for storage - benind my shop. A local lumber company (Carter Lumber) had a 'kit' that cost me right at $2,500.00. While not really a kit in the true sense of the word, it did include all the materials needed to build the barn, and a set of plan drawings. Much cutting and fitting was needed.

My barn has ½" sheathing on the sides and gambrel, and 25 year shingles on the gambrel with vinyl siding on the walls. It has one 5' double door and (only) one small window. It's about 14' high to the peak, with right at 8' to the underside of the trusses.

It'd make a pretty nice small shop, and $2,500.00 isn't all that bad a price. You would have to add electricity, of course, so that would add a bit. There may well be a local lumber dealer in your area with a similar deal. Certainly worth checking around.

Bill,
that's my plan with the porch, which will likely be 'phase two'. First off I just want my stuff out of my storage unit and under roof here at the house. It is going to be pretty basic at first, with upgrades as I go along throughout the summer... little things like insulation, a propane furnace, etc... Initial goals are 'dry and weather tight' Then I'll fret about things like 'windows' and the 'ideal' tool layout. Heck, there are three tools in the layout which I don't even Own yet, the lathe, bandsaw and jointer are still on the wish list. I'll have 'loads' of room (yeah right!) Former Creekers might recall that just about a year ago I was gearing up for this same project, but the work environment just didn't lend itself to my having any energy when I finally got home.

Jesse,
I was planning on a couple of small windows high up on one of the long walls (southern face) and just one on the western face for cross ventilation. I will also put a haymow door/window up on the non lofted end for more natural light. the floor will be well supported. I'll see about the 2nd door on the long wall, have to see how things work out.
I'll be sure and have a pot of coffee on if you (or anyone for that matter) wants to come visit, before/during or after the shop is raised.

Jim,
I'll be sure and look into kits, there are a couple of lumber yards in the area which cater to the DIY'er. I'm also leaning towards my local hardware/lumber yard. I'll even pay a little extra to them if they're within a reasonable range.

Last edited:
truss.jpg

Last year before John and I shut down our shared shop, I cut all of what I considered the 'tough' cuts for the trusses, so I have those all set and ready to go in the storage unit.

what I have is NOT assembled trusses, I have the plywood parts and the short pieces of each truss pre-cut including the bird's mouths. The long chord of each truss section is a 'field cut' per the plans I have, and I didn't buy those before I shut down the project last year. (I was buying and storing as I could afford parts and pieces)

Last edited:
Hey Ned, congratulations on getting a DECISION made,:thumb: and especially on the upcoming shop. Now THAT project ought to keep you out of Mischief for a while.:D

Glad to see you're getting geared back up, Ned. :thumb:

I've lost track...is the "stay local" job the first new job (the meter repair job), or the newly-awaited offer? :huh:

Heck of a great plan there Ned!! :thumb:

Is it possible to loose a few windows (like Jesse said) and put in a skylight or two in the non-loft area, put your work bench in that area?

Trust me, I work in a Dungeon, and natural light is just the best!

Dunno what your area is like, but fewer windows also add a lot of security to your workshop.

Again, congrats, look forward to the ground breaking! :clap:

Former Creekers might recall that just about a year ago I was gearing up for this same project, but the work environment just didn't lend itself to my having any energy when I finally got home.
I do recall it Ned and I will give you the same advice that I did then -make the shop at least 12 x 20. It will cost a little more than 12 x 16 but a year from now I bet that yoiu won't even notice that slight additional cost.

It's great that the shop project is back on again and I hoipe that you have fun building it.

Ned,

Congrats on finally being able to raise your barn! :thumb:

As others have said, keep us updated...with pictures! It'll be nice for me to be able to watch someone ELSE building! :rolleyes:

- Marty -

P.S I vote for 12x20 if you can find the way. ;)

Neat! It will be compact but that isn't necessarily a limitation. Do have windows as the light makes for an enjoyable work environment. With your lathe placement, that must mean yours swivels. :rolleyes:

Hey Ned, I like those trusses! :wave:

Did you have to get engineering on them or is the building going to be small enough not to need that much figguring? -- kinda looks that way.

I'd definitely encourage you to go with the porch when you can, as when the weather is nice it means a bit more room if your stuff's on wheels.

Good luck with it, looking forward to pics of the actual build!

Frank, Ned does not even have a lathe yet. As he said: "Heck, there are three tools in the layout which I don't even Own yet, the lathe, bandsaw and jointer are still on the wish list." So, I guess that he had better shop for a lathe that swivels. :D

Missed that. But, at least, he is thinking right. His bandsaw is a Grizzly. :rofl:

[QUOTE Norman Hitt] Hey Ned, congratulations on getting a DECISION made, and especially on the upcoming shop. Now THAT project ought to keep you out of Mischief for a while.[/quote]

LIke I get INto mischief now? :doh:

Glad to see you're getting geared back up, Ned. :thumb:

I've lost track...is the "stay local" job the first new job (the meter repair job), or the newly-awaited offer? :huh:
Vaughn,
it's about darned time is all I can say woodworker wise. I've got great friends, who have opened their doors to me (Thanks Grizzz!) but it is TIME for my own shop.
Yes, this is the 'other' new job. The eventual long distance travel really was giving the LOML fits, so when I got an offer of the 'local' travel job, I took it. I like the meter install job, but I'm ready to get back behind the lens again. I'm going to do the 'right' thing by the install company and try and keep the relationship on a good note, as they were and are very decent to their employees, it just wasn't a good fit on my end.

Stuart Ablett said:
Heck of a great plan there Ned!!

Is it possible to loose a few windows (like Jesse said) and put in a skylight or two in the non-loft area, put your work bench in that area?

Trust me, I work in a Dungeon, and natural light is just the best!

Dunno what your area is like, but fewer windows also add a lot of security to your workshop.

Again, congrats, look forward to the ground breaking!
Today 05:14 AM

Stu, I'm thinking of High windows on the non-loft wall, for natural light and security. Due to budget constraints for awhile at least the windows will have to wait, I'm going to frame for them, but I'm leaning toward just a couple smaller ones High up on the wall. I'm 6'3" tall so they would suit me just fine. I put the red barn pic up as an example for aesthetics. The tan barn will likely be what is seen from the house for quite awhile. Little or no windows initially. I"m leery of skylights here in snow country, but will think about them. ETA to true ground breaking is 2 weeks, and should be putting stage 1 down by the middle of next month (have to be out of town for the new job for a week between now and then)
Pics aplenty when I get around tuit.

Frank Pellow said:
I do recall it Ned and I will give you the same advice that I did then -make the shop at least 12 x 20. It will cost a little more than 12 x 16 but a year from now I bet that yoiu won't even notice that slight additional cost.

It's great that the shop project is back on again and I hope that you have fun building it.

Frank, I'm doing the math now, I"m going to do this in phases, (floor, walls/roof dried in and secure, then power, then cosmetics and windows etc...) and I think my local lumber yard just came in under my original budget estimates. so 12x20 is looking Very promising. A porch will be in the works as well, so I'll be able to 'borrow' space when the weather is nice enough.

Tyler Howell said:
Ned!!!
We've been through this before some place else.......
Bigger!!!!!!
I know I know. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Good luck and keep us posted.

12x20 tyler, that's stretching the budget, but I do appreciate the sentiment! :rofl:

Marty Walsh said:
Ned,

Congrats on finally being able to raise your barn!

As others have said, keep us updated...with pictures! It'll be nice for me to be able to watch someone ELSE building!

- Marty -

P.S I vote for 12x20 if you can find the way.

Marty,
I bet you finish your shop long before I get mine dried in and semi-functional, but I'm going to keep y'all posted.

Frank Fusco said:
Neat! It will be compact but that isn't necessarily a limitation. Do have windows as the light makes for an enjoyable work environment. With your lathe placement, that must mean yours swivels.
Today 09:11 AM

Planning on a midi-lathe on a stand which will be mobile, that's just a tentative parking spot for 'will I have enough room' sketch. Cozy will do just fine. It's not a production shop, more of a place to go unwind, so I'll make do with less space than some. Think a Hammock will fit in the loft?

And yes Frank, I've had my eye on the triple nickel for quite some time now. I estimate by October one will be residing in that reserved spot.

John Downey said:
Hey Ned, I like those trusses!

Did you have to get engineering on them or is the building going to be small enough not to need that much figguring? -- kinda looks that way.

I'd definitely encourage you to go with the porch when you can, as when the weather is nice it means a bit more room if your stuff's on wheels.

Good luck with it, looking forward to pics of the actual build!

John,
I purchased the plans from www.barnplans.com, and from their site:
Barnplans.com said:
Engineered trusses are designed to transfer any lateral forces directly downward onto the side walls. This eliminates the need for upstairs post and beam supports. Because of this design, any interior walls you may wish to incorporate are non-load bearing, leaving you the freedom to create any floor plan you wish. This design also maximizes useable second floor space.

Our plans have been engineered to 2003 IBC specs as well as the strict earthquake codes of California, snow loads of Washigton State and Hawaii hurricane requirements..

I think they'll stand up to NY winters as well.

The pic of the trusses is from their site, from a mini-barn buildup they shared. the assembly shown is the upper 2/3 of the truss, the last 1/3 being the floor joists of the loft holding it all together. Pics will be flowing steadily, as I have a snazzy digi cam. :D

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, to borrow from Marty, thanks for looking, hope that you enjoy the ride. Coffee will be brewing for those inclined to drop in.

Last edited by a moderator: