I hate gout

And it always seems to show up on the weekend when the docs are closed.

I take Allopurinol® as a preventative. Started out with 300mg daily, and eventually dosed down to 100mg. It does have some liver cautions, btw. It's prescription-only, so talk to your doctor about it. After taking it for a month, I've never had (for about fifteen years) another serious attack. Personally, I've never had any adverse side effects from it. YMMV...

I take Allopurinol® as a preventative. Started out with 300mg daily, and eventually dosed down to 100mg. It does have some liver cautions, btw. It's prescription-only, so talk to your doctor about it. After taking it for a month, I've never had (for about fifteen years) another serious attack. Personally, I've never had any adverse side effects from it. YMMV...

They say not to start in the middle of a flare though, and by the time I finally get all better I forget to start the allopurinol. :doh: Maybe in a week someone could ask if I have started the allopurinol yet.

They say not to start in the middle of a flare though...

Hadn't heard that one... As I recall, I started in the middle of one, and they 'shotgunned' about a triple dose for several days before settling in to a (then) normal 300mg. That was many years ago, though, so recommendations have probably changed by now. Whatever the current recommendation, follow doctor's orders. Don't mess with meds!