I May Have Just Reversed The Space Time Continuum......

Stuart Ablett

The other day was my lovely wife's birthday, she NEVER tells me what she wants, and very often I try to get her something that just falls flat. She does not want me to get her flowers, she says they just die in a few days, don't waste the money, she is not really a fan of chocolate, she has lots of chocolates in the fridge that she got two Christmases ago that are unopened (I don't dare touch them!). Clothes..... what are you nuts, that is a minefield wrapped in tripwire hooked up to claymores tied off with detcord, no thanks. I've made her lots of things before, cutting boards, bowls, ring caddys etc etc, but she is getting harder and harder to buy for. Well recently we had new fridges installed in the L shop, this gave me ample opportunity to do some minor renovations on stuff and move some shelving around. A number of times there was a need to drive a few screws into walls etc and I always use my cordless impact driver. My lovely wife picked this up several times and gave it a go and of course the weight, power and noise of the thing is a bit intimidating for a newbie, she did not like it, but she also did not like driving half a dozen screws by hand. A light went off and I got her one of these......

756089_f520.jpg
The Bosch IXO III driver.

This little unit works really well, I have an older one and I just love it. For stuff that she is doing around the L shop or at home this is perfect.

She was thrilled, she was so excited, I gave it to her (all nicely wrapped up too!) live on a Skype chat with our daughters, and they will confirm that she was thrilled, THRILLED I tell you she was so happy!

So there, you CAN give power tools to your wife for her birthday and not be in the dog house..... I expect the meteor to hit the planet sometimes next week..... :D

Cheers!

Lol Stu well done. :thumb: That was creative thinking. Take heart you are not alone in this area of our lives. Seems like some woodworkers marry twins. No chocolates here, no clothes, been through all the kitchen/house/sewing things that i can too. Dont think power tools will go down well here though things like that are put squarely in my dept.

I be interested to hear what other guys chime in with in regards to wifes birthday presents, bought or otherwise. :)

I've had one for years and it is a fantastic little tool. Not sure my wife would appreciate it though as all she has to do is walk downstairs and take mine which she uses then immediately forgets where she put it :doh:

I've gotten my wife the same birthday gift for almost 42 years. A 1/4 oz. bottle of Shalimar perfume. I wouldn't dare, on my life, to get her anything different. It started out about $40.00 a bottle now it's over $130.00 :eek:

I've had one for years and it is a fantastic little tool. Not sure my wife would appreciate it though as all she has to do is walk downstairs and take mine which she uses then immediately forgets where she put it :doh:

I've gotten my wife the same birthday gift for almost 42 years. A 1/4 oz. bottle of Shalimar perfume. I wouldn't dare, on my life, to get her anything different. It started out about $40.00 a bottle now it's over $130.00 :eek:

Bob, at $8,320/lb I hope it doesn't get spilled. :rofl:

Congrats, Stu, on marrying a lady who's not afraid to appreciate a power tool. :thumb:

I have learned to NEVER buy my wife anything unless she specifically points something out and tells me that she wants one. :rolleyes: It actually frustrates the heck out of me, because I like surprising people with gifts. :bang:

I did buy my wife a sander one year for her birthday, but at her request. It's still new in the un-opened box. What ever reason she wanted it has far been put away, but she still brags to her friends she has her own tool(s).

Good on you Stu!
But, I'm here to tell you: don't overplay that hand!

One of the most helpful things I've learned in nearly 35 years of marriage is to listen for signals and pay attention when my wife says something like "oh, what a nice ___________". Luckily she has many interests and hobbies and can always use another spinning wheel:D

Many years ago I bought my wife a Charles Daly 20 gage O/U shotgun to shoot skeet & trap with me. The next year I bought her a .357 S&W in stainless steel. She "outgrew" both within short order. So guess who became the proud owner of these fine guns. Sometimes the "luck of the draw" works in one's favor! :rofl:

Now she buys whatever she wants & she's happier this way. Me too! :thumb:

Last edited:
Now she buys whatever she wants & she's happier this way. Me too! :thumb:

I like that plan.

Sadly, we typically plan a more major purchase around those times. For her birthday earlier this month, we bought her a new car to get to the new job. My birthday for 3 years, was the new truck, hah.

My wife and I are old enough that we no longer buy each other gifts... not even cards... our birthdays are only 3 weeks apart, so we go to the store, pick out a card, let the other one read it, then put it back... gets our sentiment across, saves a few bucks, then we go out to dinner. If she wants something, I insist that she get it while we both still remember what it is... we can forget we have it later.