It was looking pretty good for a while

If you are gonna make a funnel, you might as well make a pretty funnel! Nice, might be just about the right size for a canning funnel or display it on the top shelf and nobody will know the difference.

Oddly enough with the 43 or so other errors I have repeated often enough to pretty well have them perfected I have never made a funnel, yet! I came pretty close for the same reason you made one I suspect. I wasn't happy with how the bottom of my pieces looked after knocking off the tenon so the obvious solution was to use a recess. Built in foot, looks nice, a handful of attractive gee-gaw things I can do in the recess to make it look finished. I too overlooked that the bottom of my bowl was getting very thin. It flexed rather easily and if I had such a thing as a vacuum chuck I would no doubt have found out exactly how thick it wasn't!

Hu

Bummer about the bowl, David. With the flat bottom, it won't even work very effectively as a funnel. :D Are you sure that was padauk?. I've never seen any that color or with that kind of grain. Pretty wood, whatever it is. :thumb:

And just to be the yang to Jim's ying, I've never liked the looks of using a contrasting plug on the bottom of a bowl. The times I've done it, the patch has always stood out to me like a Band-Aid on a supermodel's face. ;) (But that's strictly a personal opinion...others like the look.) I'd just hang it up as-is on the shop wall as a reminder not to do that again. :D

...Are you sure that was padauk?. I've never seen any that color or with that kind of grain. Pretty wood, whatever it is. :thumb:...

It was labeled as padauk. I got the blank from a Woodcraft store. I don't usually buy wood there but it was too pretty to pass up. It is actually much more orange colored than the photo shows. I think the camera made corrections for the early evening light.

That is a good looking funnel. On wood I have bought I squared it up in a donut chuck, squared the bottom off and glued on a piece of different wood. After drying make a tenon and finish. I rarely do this with free wood but if I spent money on it I hate losing it.