Well first up let me say sorry no pics, i would love to have had some to show because without seeing this fiasco you would never believe it.
Well this weekend we moved youngest son to his house in Kingston ready for training camp and the new school year.
So bed i had to build was not ready. We found this store and bought a base, added what they call a "box spring" and the mattress had been ordered from Sears many weeks ago.
Ok so we get to this store in Kingston load up the disassembled base/headboard and boxspring on trailer and get it to his house.
Never did we think that the house would be any kind of issue. Base goes up and no issues we assemble it in room upstairs which he chose then while doing this i hear word from stairs "not gonna go". Oy Vey. Go look and there is no way this Queen size box spring is going up the stairs.
Well whats the words of the Marine Corp........adapt improvise and overcome. Well my son a few days off 18 is now having a fit. Could have given him a slap that would knock him out of his "stupid state" but i just got on with it.
We were a few inches from getting this to fit. Of course being a boy scout i came prepared with some tools but i was not expecting to dismantle a box spring made in Malaysia with 1000 tiny staples and then some roofer nails and huge long folded wire staples. mamma mia you will not believe.
Off with the foam then i see what this thing is made of and frankly i was flabbergasted. All the guys making stuff here get worried about quality presentation etc. This was a piece of junk hidden( Side note to self ...what do you expect for $100 Rob ) under a piece of foam and material. When i say junk I really mean they used the wood used to make pallets. In one case the pieces that separate top and bottom looked like a piece of branch from a tree was sawn and just stapled in place.
So off to the local HD and picked up a hand stapler ( will do a post on that with pics later) and needed a lever to pry the thing apart and voila we dismantled the whole darn thing, ferried it upstairs and then put it together again this time with screws . What an experience that i did not need.
We were thinking we would be leaving the place by 2pm (yeah right) and headed home, we got home at 1am after that little exercise.
Added to all this was the state of this "house". Landlords in the area renting homes to students, man this landlord was supposedly going to clean the house before occupancy. Well while i was working on bed, Linda got stuck into the bathroom it was disgusting to put it mildly. While at depot we picked up a new toilet seat, new blind ( i think the old one had multiple years of colonies of something growing on it) and a complete new shower curtain.
When she was done you could hardly recognize the it was the same place. One of the other kids families got stuck into the kitchen.
Then on way home with trailer, Dodges brakes start to play up so ordered new pads and those will part of next major repair job.
Yesterday was clean up our house after getting one out . One more to go hopefully with a bit of luck thats tomorrow and then we back to being real empty nesters and peace....oh and a clean home.
When i got tossed out of home i do not recall getting this kind of "aid program" how times have changed or we have become weak.
Just for info the landlords have such a captive market that they manage to get $1900 Excluding all utilities for a home in Kingston that frankly should be torn down. And this was the best of the bunch, my son had made sure to react in early April and went on a hunt with his buddies to find this place. No garage. Upper level I am sure was never built to code or designed for second story. Whole house is sagging in the middle upstairs.
What a weekend.