Jointer setup ....THANK YOU GLENN Bradley

Rob Keeble

I owe a debt of gratitude to Glenn. Last week after getting my new start cap from Grizz, I got my jointer running again.

But prior i had sharpened the blades (adequately) using Glenns suggestion of piece of wood with grooves cut in at 45* and i remembered another neat trick Glenn handed down of using grub screws in an old type spokeshave to set the height, so I tapped the edges of the 45* cuts and put some grub screws in to be able to hold the blades in place on the sharpening jig.

Then when i had a crazy day Glenn came to the rescue with a technique i wanted to highlight because its so easy its criminal that its not more widely published.

jointer setup.jpg
I wont bother looking for the lost set up jig that caused my disastrous day, it had a good outcome in that i gained not only a new technique to set the blades but one which makes it kinds fool proof.

In addition the hunt for the jig resulted in a much needed sorting and clearing of draws and tools. Thanks Carol for that idea of getting like tools together and then culling the herd. It stuck even though it should have been elementary, sometimes we just dont see the wood for the trees.:rofl::thumb:

I have since run my jointer with it powered by the generator and no problems at all. Got a load of ash jointed and while at it even some Cherry.

I had never touched the unit since purchasing it and took time to ensure the beds were parallel and level to head and then set blades with Glenns magnet glass trick.

Did discover that my outfeed table has a dip in it but hey i am realistic about what one can expect for a hobby machine for $650 with 3HP motor.

Was so cool to be making sawdust again.

Said it before but worth repeating ......THANKS GLENN and of course the rest of you too. :thumb:

I'm sure I stole that idea from somewhere. I "came up with it" (which probably means I recalled seeing it somewhere) when setting my Dad's old Delta knifed machine years ago.