Name That Bread

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Although this is somewhat food related, I figured I'd post it here instead, since it will eventually involve more than food.

Anybody have any guesses about what type of bread this is? I picked it up this past weekend. (Hint: It doesn't come from a store, and is only available in my part of the country.)

Jemez%20Bread%201%20800.jpg

Jemez%20Bread%202%20800.jpg

Ok i am going to have a stab at guessing.....

Vaughn likes chile especially green chile

So how about Green Chile Pinon Sourdough and artisan bread.

Ok thats my best shot.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I think you found it at a pueblo in the area. I bet it was tasty!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :D

I was camping last weekend in the Jemez mountains, and to get to the camping spot, I went through the Jemez pueblo. They have a number of roadside stands where the Native American ladies sell their oven-baked bread, as well as Indian Fry Bread (think funnel cakes, with honey instead of powdered sugar) and Indian Tacos (fry bread topped with meat, beans, chile, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese). Had to stop on the way back and bring some bread home.

Here's the stand where I bought it...had to be a bit sneaky taking the pic, since the Jemez tribe frowns on photos:

Jemez%20Bread%203%20800.jpg

This type of bread is baked in outdoor dome-shaped ovens made of mud bricks (adobe). The ovens are called hornos, and they are found in the back yards of many houses in the pueblo (and in many other pueblos, too). I didn't get a picture of any hornos on this trip, but here's what they typically look like...this is a pic I found on the web from Taos pueblo:

125914104.AQyvEME9.jpg

The bread is good stuff. Pretty straightforward white, yeast-risen bread, but with a tougher crust and a bit more crumbly inner texture than most white breads. It's great warmed up with butter and honey, or made into cinnamon toast under the broiler. Makes a killer grilled cheese sandwich, too. :D

I can't tell but I had a similar looking one in a restaurant during my stay in Chicago last summer. It was very soft and spongy, and inside looked exactly the same.

Well I was way off, from the texture and most of the clues I was guessing a salt risen bread except for the"only available in my part of the country" bit. Cool stuff didn't know about this style, surprised at the texture, would have expected more steam rising with that cooking method, must start out with a relatively dry dough.

I was camping last weekend in the Jemez mountains, and to get to the camping spot, I went through the Jemez pueblo. They have a number of roadside stands where the Native American ladies sell their oven-baked bread, as well as Indian Fry Bread (think funnel cakes, with honey instead of powdered sugar) and Indian Tacos (fry bread topped with meat, beans, chile, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese). Had to stop on the way back and bring some bread home.

When my wife and I were in Tucson (almost 20 years ago) we went out to the Pima reservation (I think it's Pima )- there's a white cathedral out there - Mission Xavier del Bac that the indians set up their food stands near.... we had one of the indian tacos... some of the best eating I've ever had... can still almost taste it 20 years later.

When my wife and I were in Tucson (almost 20 years ago) we went out to the Pima reservation (I think it's Pima )- there's a white cathedral out there - Mission Xavier del Bac that the indians set up their food stands near.... we had one of the indian tacos... some of the best eating I've ever had... can still almost taste it 20 years later.

actually Chuck it is the Tohono O'odham San Xavier Indian Reservation

My brother in law lives just down the road from there in green valley and we go by it all the time. Yes the indian tacos are a treat. I'll have one for ya next time I go down to play golf.

actually Chuck it is the Tohono O'odham San Xavier Indian Reservation

My brother in law lives just down the road from there in green valley and we go by it all the time. Yes the indian tacos are a treat. I'll have one for ya next time I go down to play golf.

Thanks, I'll be waiting for the taste sensation to hit... Loved the church too, it was quite beautiful both inside and out... In the year and half we lived there think we only made it out once... we also looked at property in Greenback, but I was working for the North American Van Lines off I10 on the southwest side of Tucson, so decided the commute was too far... we rented a condo on La Canada just off the Oracle highway... only about 2 miles to work -- but 3 miles home since we were on a oneway feeder road and I had to go roundabout to get home....I liked Tucson.

and not to high jack Vaughn's thread but this might be educational
for some.

I just finished a huge breakfast and that made me hungary watching them make the fry bread... thanks for sharing.