Flames Laser Pen Kit - What did I do wrong?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Put together a lazer pen kit with flames.

Unfortunately, I've got some funky looking 'cracks' or 'lines' in there that are of a lighter color that they should be.

The odd thing is that these strange colored sections do not appear to be on the lines where the pieces were put together.

Is it the nature of these stabilized blanks that there might be some voids? Or did I do something wrong during the turning.

Should I take it apart and turn the finish off it and color them in or something?

This is just a pen I was making for myself, so No biggie, but I'd like to figure this out.

FWW-9799.jpg
FWW-9800.jpg

Looks like it's supposed to. The colors are added to the cactus juice when the maple or holly is stabilized. Now and then you'll run into a spot that the dye didn't penetrate very well. It happens. Looks good though...kinda Hot Rod-ish!

Yep, where the dye didn't soak into the grain. I did that very pen and had the same results. I filled it in with magic marker and put a CA finish over it. That is the one thing I dislike about the laser kits, the colors always look faded to me on the dyed ones.

Yep, where the dye didn't soak into the grain. I did that very pen and had the same results. I filled it in with magic marker and put a CA finish over it. That is the one thing I dislike about the laser kits, the colors always look faded to me on the dyed ones.

Thanks Paul. That's good to know. I think I'll just leave it alone then.