Thread: uv resistant exotic wood covering

uv resistant exotic wood covering

As a retirement hobby, I build multilevel circular bird houses with veneer exotic woods such as bubinga, padauk, canary wood, king wood, mahogany, and many other types of exotic wood. I am looking for a high uv resistant clear covering that will protect those woods from fading when exposed to sunlight. Any suggestions?

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    First of all, welcome to FWW! Stick around; you'll like it here.

As for the finish recommendation, a marine varnish will likely be your best bet.

One of the absolute best ones is Epifane. It's a bit pricey, but is very durable.

That said, any outdoor finish will require frequent (yearly?) touchups or recoating.
    Jim D.

Wapakoneta, OH
    Epifanes would be the best. You could also try untinted exterior oil paint base. The ones for the darker colors (normally base #4), believe it or not, without tint it looks very much like a varnish when it dries, and has very good UV protection (more info here). One last note: be sure to avoid the box store "spar" varnishes...they are almost all made with urethane resins, that in itself makes it a poor outdoor finish. The marine store stuff (like Epifanes) is a much better product.

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    I have wondered about this. Even though I never did ask. So I found this to be an interesting thread.

Thanks and Enjoy,
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

new york city burbs
    if you use mahogany, sikens, not sure which one these days, but I used it on a door entrance a few years ago, made of mahogany, hasn't faded one iota.
    Human Test Dummy

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Bob, welcome to the forum.
    As others said, a marine varnish is best. But you are looking for something that doesn't exist, really. So "best" only means the process is slowed down a bit. I work quite a bit with Osage Orange and would just love to keep that bright orange/yellow color, but, alas, it is not possible. I have tried lots of things. All that will work to keep the color is to not expose your piece to light at all, keep in a dark vault.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Outside the beltway
    MLC has a 2 part epoxy that works well. I was doing an estimate at the Pentagon yesterday and thats what is being recommended. Finish looks great and very durable.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::