Thread: If you take pictures on your phone watch this. Scary

If you take pictures on your phone watch this. Scary

Faith, Hope & Charity

I always check snopes before watching these sorts of videos.... and Snopes confirms it: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/smartphonepix.asp

However, check the last paragraph: "Contrary to what the news video linked above suggests, some photo-sharing and social media web sites (such as Facebook and Twitter) automatically strip some or all of the Exif metadata from uploaded pictures in order to protect privacy. "
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Thanks Art, It's good to see that the threat is confirmed.
    Even though it is reported that some sites may have some security, I am going to make sure that the GPS feature on my pictures is off. Claims that they strip some of the information doesn't make me any less nervous about who can potentially see anything personal to me.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I'm probably overly paranoid about some of this but unless I'm actively using the navigation feature on my phone I always have it turned off. The pictures can still be tagged with a date and time or other metadata though.

It also said in Snopes, this is a 4 year old warning....
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I'm probably overly paranoid about some of this but unless I'm actively using the navigation feature on my phone I always have it turned off. The pictures can still be tagged with a date and time or other metadata though.
    Unless I'm actively using GPS, I keep it turned off to keep the battery life up. I'm not really paranoid about this stuff though.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

It's interesting... not an issue at my house though... we use the most basic cell phone we can get, and if we need a picture of something, we each have good digital cameras for that. Sometimes too much technology can be a bad thing.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

A few months ago, the guy who originally wrote the McAfee software we used to use was hiding out from the federales in central America. But he was giving interviews to journalists, and just couldn't resist posting a picture of his hideaway. The Federales almost found him using exif data from the pic...

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012...location-exif/

There's an app for that! Actually several for just about any device/computer to strip information. Most of the picture sharing sites have options to hide location info, you can turn it off on most devices, and here on FWW we strip pretty much all exif info except for size on uploaded pictures.

If you're worried about that type of info, there are browser plugins/extensions that will display exif data for images displayed on the web. The one I've been using in Chrome you simply right click and click the icon for the exif viewer and it pops a window with the information.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    However, check the last paragraph: "Contrary to what the news video linked above suggests, some photo-sharing and social media web sites (such as Facebook and Twitter) automatically strip some or all of the Exif metadata from uploaded pictures in order to protect privacy. "
    True. For websites that don't do that (such as most forums out there), you can strip exif data yourself.