finishes for baby bed

Chris Mire

been working on the baby bed and it's near completion. looking for the best finish to use seeing that lil man will probably plant his teeth into the rail a few thousands times before he grows out of it.

thanks for any help
chris

Shellac is always a good choice, easy to apply, repair and it is food safe, after all, most chocolate, and candy have a shellac coating on them, plus pills etc.

BTW, where are the pics.............?? :D

Chris,
I'll third shellac - especially for the repair aspect. One other thought - we added the rubber edges to my son's crib during the teething stages (slip on and off friction fit). They are available at most big box stores. They worked remarkably well.

FWIW,
Wes

ok, so it looks like shellac is a good idea

so how hard is it to use, i have never used it before. i'd really hate to mess this thing up, sure i could rebuild it, but maybe not after loml pounded my head in :D

pics to come stu

thanks guys
chris

pics added

thanks stu...i'll check into that

boy you don't give up on them pics huh...:D

here ya go

crib1.JPG

crib2.JPG

crib4.JPG

crib5.JPG

crib6.JPG

the last pic is the inspiration pic. it is supposed to look like that but in that pic one of the rails is removed. of course mine will have rails on both sides then will be converted to a toddler bed later by removing one rail and replacing it with a lower rail for support.

hope that helps stu :thumb:

thanks for the info
chris

Chris, I can see why you don't want to screw this one up, NICE JOB!!!

I think a coat of Shellac will only enhance it, looks VERY good!:thumb:

Thanks for posting the pics! :wave:

Hi Chris.

There is a very good article in the current issue of "WoodWork" magazine on the different types of finishes. The article was written by Bob Flexner, a well known finishing expert.

Bob, among other points in his article, states that ALL currently marketed wood finishes are food safe. The problem in the past was with regard to lead being used in the finish. Since finishes are now lead free, the finishes are safe.

You might want to pick up a copy of this issue of WoodWork. It is a darn good magazine.:)

Of course shellac is always a good choice. It is even used as a coating on medicine pills.

I finished this with three coats of amber shellac from flakes I bought at LV...it's been a very good finish and withstood my latest little vandal.

cradle11.jpg

Great Job on the Crib/Bed! :thumb:

Is the side that is not in your pictures the same as the other, or is it more like the one in your inspirational picture?

Unfortunatly I have never had to finish something that a little one might use to sharpen his/her teeth with.... So I don't have any recomendations on that.
:dunno:

thanks for the help everyone. still mulling over the decision.

sean,
yes both sides will have a railing. the inspiration pic is shown in toddler form, mainly cause the site the pic comes from sells the bedding, so they want you to be able to see it.

thanks for the comments
chris