It wasn't exactly how I had planned to spend 5 weekends of the summer but......
It all started the first week of July, I knew we had a leak somewhere in the roof over the kitchen but I didn't realize how bad of a leak it was till the monsoons hit.
A small hairline crack in the ceiling that looked like a pretty simple fix quickly turned into this:
Which very quickly turned into this:
The weather building up to the weekend of July 13th and 14th went from rainy and stormy to temps well into the 90's, not exactly when you want to be on a roof, but that is where I spent the weekend.
The first evidence of a major problem with a roof that was only seven years old:
I didn't take a lot pictures of the roof but I wound up removing a good portion and replacing one full sheet of sheathing and another 4'x4' section. The roof was leaking in the valley where the low pitch roof meets up with the other steeper pitches. The water was running under the shingles and had caused a good bit of damage to the OSB sheathing. I had to redo the valley flashing and re-flash along the edge where it was not put in right.
Next post: Kitchen ceiling demo.