A Backlogged Photo

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Going through some photos I came across this one. I don't think I've posted this pic before...my apologies if I have.

This is a piece of mystery burl out of someone's firewood pile. I had rough turned it before I moved to Albuquerque, then finished it up last summer when I was back in LA. Dyed with red, orange, and yellow TransTint, finished with rattle can lacquer, wet-sanded, buffed, and waxed. The colors aren't quite as bright as the photo would indicate, but it's still pretty bright. It's about 3 1/2" to 4" tall and about 7" wide. [Edited because I got a chance to measure it.]

VM%201037%20-%2001%201024.jpg

C&C are welcome as always. ;)

Last edited:
Great bowl Vaughn. I guess the Kamakazi squirrel got to it before you took that excellent photograph. (You must have done some serious photography somewhere back in your past.)

Oh yes, Ken gets A+ for his photography also. Ken, you did great to get that photo. The blast of air was so strong that it blew the Kamakazi squirrel clear out of the picture, but you held the camera rock steady.

Enjoy,
JimB

Beautiful!! Just wondering...why no black base and the usual sand back thing?

I haven't really reied that with anything other than curly or quilted maple. I know the black base really makes chatoyant figure pop, but I'm not sure what it does with burl. That, and the fact that I was on a compressed time schedule, and wanted to get it done before heading back to ABQ. ;)

Words escape me. Beautiful just does not cut it.

You sure got the shape thing well and trully in ur head. I got some chain a while back to practice on your advice re form.

I love the edges. These pieces are really works of art. Kens photo is bang on blown away....you make it seem so easy lol.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Really like the colour cast to the outer surface, if natural light enhances the glow as well as the photo' image then it certainly has a presence.