Truck Shopping

Headed west this morning to look at the truck. So far, from afar, everything looks OK. Since Carfax provided the name of the shop that has been servicing the truck, guess where I will stop first? I have my list of questions from my mechanic here and a friend who did truck repair for a living back in the day - and is familiar with this particular running gear. A another friend is driving over with me. If I buy it, she will drive my car back. I am so blessed to have such good friends. Back atcha later.

I have always been a Dodge guy. But have to admit, I don't know why. My old truck that went over 500,000 miles for me was really a lot like Great grand dad's axe. You know, it has had three heads and six handles but it was still GGD's axe. :D
My old Dodger had: two engines, three transmissions and two differentials in it's long life. My current Dodge before 100,000 miles has had both the transmission and differential replaced. :(
Toyota is no longer going to be making pick-ups. There must be a reason no one bought them.
My next will be a Ford.
Question of diesel is up to you. If you need the towing power, go for it.

...Toyota is no longer going to be making pick-ups. There must be a reason no one bought them...

Where did you see that? :huh: I can't find anything saying they are not going to make pickups. They may be dropping the Tacoma (their midsize), but all the other manufacturers are also dropping their midsize trucks (if they haven't already). The best driving truck I've experienced was a Toyota Tundra. Great handling, tons of power, and a superb ride. And where did you get the "no one bought them" idea? They sure don't seem to be having a problem selling them in this part of the country. (Toyota is number 5 and 6 nationally in truck sales for July 2013, which is up from last year.) They're all over the place in NM and CA. Also, Toyota trucks (and cars) are also among the most reliable ones out there. I've owned Ford and Chevy trucks, and driven Dodges. My next pickup (after my Ranger dies) will likely be a Tundra.

But this is all moot, as Toyota doesn't make a diesel pickup, and that's what Carol is after.

And where did you get the "no one bought them" idea? They sure don't seem to be having a problem selling them in this part of the country. (Toyota is number 5 and 6 nationally in truck sales for July 2013, which is up from last year.) They're all over the place in NM and CA.

I can vouch for that...I swear that 50% of the trucks I see are Fords and the other 50% are Toyotas. The place I stayed in Santa Rosa had at least 8-12 Ford trucks...I always parked next to an F-250....my 150 looked so tiny :eek:! The only exception would be the school parking lot...lots of little banged up cars. Students are poor :(