The problem with wanting to turn things.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So I want/need a new salt cellar. The lid on my old one that I made has kind of broken.

Thanks to inspiration from Chas, and some help from Mohammad, I'm noodling around some options to do a nice little segmented turned box.

Then this shows up in my inbox...

I'm not going to let it deter me from making mine, but I can imagine this kind of thing must make it difficult for turners at a craft show.

Rachel Ray 3 Tier Salt Cellar for 19.99$

600729_e1.jpg

I noticed the same thing. I saw people were turning safety razor handles and shaving brushes. I want to get 2 more pairs of each of those. Looked up the prices for blanks and hardware...decided I'd just buy em premade.

Your only hope is to sell the idea that these wre made by a craftsman in America, not by a machine in China. My wife often buys things at Ikea, or worse, at Walmart because "it will take you forever to make it, and cost more."

If you would let something like that deter you---you sure would not make much.
Discouraging isn't it!

However, the same thing applies to ceramics, silver craft, oil paintings, fabrics, and you name its.
There are a bazillion people who admire and prefer the talent and love that goes into one-of-a-kind pieces of art. Bless them (and me too since I am one of them).

Make your salt cellar top and enjoy it!

Enjoy,
JimB

Yep, I know firsthand how hard it is to sell a bowl as "just a bowl" when there are numerous places to get one the same size for under ten bucks. At least in my experience (and at the locations where I was selling), my only hope was to market it as "art" instead.

And to respectfully disagree somewhat with Jim, I'd say there are millions who are willing to pay a premium for handmade, one-of-a-kind art...and bazillions who just want a bowl and couldn't care less how it was made as long as it's inexpensive.

I must admit my show experience is very limited... but most of the people who came into my booth last month commented on the fact that my cutting boards were unique, and NOT mass produced. People who are really shopping at craft shows are out there Looking for the 'different' item.

you've got the tools, make your own.

Vaughn is 100% right.

he isn't selling a bowl, hes selling art.

We were in a crafts fair recently, and purchased common salt and pepper shakers along with a bottle that holds salad dressing.

It was inexpensive glassware, but, the artist had handpainted each piece of glass, and we thought it was unique.
We paid her price for her talent.

I get so self righteous at craft shows; see a price and tell Stacey..."What the heck? That much for this" Then I sell a pen for $85 and feel ripped off. Sometimes, there is just no justice!!

I get so self righteous at craft shows; see a price and tell Stacey..."What the heck? That much for this" Then I sell a pen for $85 and feel ripped off. Sometimes, there is just no justice!!

:rofl:

I think the primary difference is that you could see yourself making most of those things, your primary market OTOH can't.

I've said this before and I'll likely say it again but if you want to sell it as at price it accordingly, psychologically that puts it into a different mental box than if it was priced to complete with a big box item.

So Brent you're not making a salt cellar, you're making bespoke art that functions as a salt cellar as a side effect :D

And that's why I haven't been on here much lately. Been to busy fixing stuff. I make way more doing my own mechanic work and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment almost as much as I do when I make something. Just installed the driver side strut this morning on my F150 and will do the passenger later today or tomorrow. I have installed valve stem seals on a 30 yer old Chevy RV this summer as well as and exhaust.. Replaced a section of the cover on my mower deck and welded it up. Buffed out most of the same old 30 year old RV as well as replacing some appliance parts. I can easily make the equivalent of 40 dollars an hour doing my own repair and I only have to suit myself. I also don't have a great deal of artistic ability so not likely to sell to the picky. Now I do have to much junk and need to downsize but every time I decide to hire out my repair work I am disappointed so it seems as if I keep collecting tools.

A chap I visited last month to buy a set of Forstner bits had some very nice cutting boards on sale for $100 - $140. If I paid that much for a cutting board, I would put a hanger on the back and mount it on the wall. No knife would ever touch it!

OTOH, if I can sell one for that kind of price...