I wonder how long the snow will last

Frank Pellow

There is still quite a lot of snow under the pile of sawdust and chips that I dumped during the winter.

Pile of dust and chips with snow under it -small.JPG

I predict that there will still be a bit of snow present on Jun 3rd but that it will all have disappeared by June 10th.

Not sure.

But one thing I do know for sure. I don't want to see snow/ice for a long time;) :D

...I predict that there will still be a bit of snow present on Jun 3rd but that it will all have disappeared by June 10th.
We'll be expecting a report sometime around there to see how close your prediction is. ;)

I was surprised last week to see bits of snow left on the mountains south and east of Albuquerque. (I was flying to Orlando, and our route happened to take us just south my old hometown. I usually see it at takeoff and landing elevation...this was the first time I'd seen ABQ from cruising altitude.)

Well, I've read in several places where sawdust was used as an insulator for ice houses back in the 1800s, so it must be a good insulator.
What's this "back in the 1800s" Art?

In 1957 ,I was hired to help cut ice on the lake then store it in the ice house which consisted of a building with thick log walls in a shady place. We put sawdust and chips from a nearby sawmill between blocks. And, the ice certainly did last all summer. It is based partly on thatexperience that am predicting the elting date for my snow.

In 1957 ,I was hired

Well, y'know, Frank, I'm just a young whippersnapper. I was born about as close to the tail end of the baby boom as you can get... ;)

My "experience" is completely based on reading novels like "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder which was based back in the late 1800s

The snow has gone

I checked this morning and there was no snow under the sawdust. :( When I last checked on May 24th, there was still a small amount present.

My prediction was that it would disappear between June 3rd and 10th, so I was wrong by about 10 days.

I sure don't like the hot springs that we are now getting in Toronto. :(

frank, it`s been in the 80`s with about 90% humidity here in the sticks:eek: .......skeeters-n-ticks are out in force....

In 1957 ,I was hired to help cut ice on the lake then store it in the ice house which consisted of a building with thick log walls in a shady place. We put sawdust and chips from a nearby sawmill between blocks. And, the ice certainly did last all summer. It is based partly on thatexperience that am predicting the elting date for my snow.

Gee Frank we can't help that your so old.:wave: :D :rofl:

Maybe you need to go clean out more of that saw dust in your shop & add it to the pile outside & see if you can find room for 1 more tool in your shop.:D :dunno: