Nova Up and Running

Well got it setup and got it running. I need to read the book and see what a few things mean on the read out. I got the stand all together. I put 2 X 12's stack two high down and bolted the stand to it for 3" more height. I hate bending over. Then got some Sears mats to stand one. I also got the outboard turning rest on it and setup. Got my tools setup so should be ready to go. Yea yea yea Stu I know get it dirty. I think I need to buy a Nova chuck for it since it is a 1 1/4" X 8. I think the Nova chucks have a set screw so it won't come off when turning in reverse. I know the Nova faceplate does.

Attachments

• Nova DVR XP 7.jpg
    Nova DVR XP 7.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 50
  • Nova DVR XP 8.jpg
    Nova DVR XP 8.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Nova DVR XP 11.jpg
    Nova DVR XP 11.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 41
Whoo Hoo!! :thumb:

looking good, but MAN is it WAY too clean :D

You going to fill them white tubes up with chips when you get going, and the ones that are inline with the wet bowl blanks you turn will be filled with water :rofl: ;) :wave:

Be aware that the cast iron on the ways rusts if you look at it funny, so wax them well, and DO NOT leave wet shavings on them overnight.......DAMHIKT or you will be spending some time with some WD40 and a Scotchbrite pad in hand :rolleyes:

Looks good and solid!

The Nova chucks do have the setscrew, I have the G3, I want a Super Nova 2 and a Titan, I think, as I have the G3 (smaller chuck) I'll just get the Titan and hope that does it.

Cheers!

Looks like you'll be in business as soon as you take that little yellow cap off the spindle. :p Congrats, Bernie!

Looks like you'll be in business as soon as you take that little yellow cap off the spindle. :p Congrats, Bernie!

:doh:Why did you tell him that!!!!

You are no fun Vaughn, I wanted to see him try to screw the chuck on with that yellow cup on there................. ;) :rolleyes: :rofl:

Yep, that is one nice set up Bernie, I hope you are not responding to these jabs, as you are out there making a mess :thumb:

Cheers!

That's one honkin' stout lookin' outboard stand. I've never seen a picture of the Nova out-stand. Could make me rethink my upgrade lathe purchase. Your tool holder looks handy but might have downside. I use a lot of spray laquer, everything would get sprayed. Otherwise, a fine tool and set-up. :thumb: Now, you need to get it dirty.

Lookin' good Bernie :thumb:
You had better get a nice thick mat to put there. I'll bet you are going to spend a lot of time standing in that spot.

DT

Yea Vaughn I had a heck of a time getting my chuck on there tonight to finish turning a bowl. :rofl:

Frank that outboard piece is big hunk of iron. I do believe I could sit on it and I am 200 lbs.

Don I got the mats. I have to Sears anti-fatigue mats that I just love. My feet and legs have thanked me many times.

Thanks guys. I did finish out a bowl and it is sooooooooooooooo smooth.

Congrats on getting the lathe setup!

Hello Bernie,

I just finished watching an episode of Lost... As Hurley would say: "Dude, that's like... way too clean dude, throw some shavings around and make it look like it's been there for years dude! :D

This reminds me of when I got my first set of turnout gear with the Fire Department... When the older blokes saw me (a rookie) in my "brand new" bright turnout gear (the fire resistive suits we wear for fighting fire), they all started laughing, howling and covering their eyes.

Their gear of course was thirty shades of black. They grabbed me and drug me outside and started rolling me around in the mud. Ten minutes later, I looked like an old pro.:D :D :D

So as Hurley would say... Dude get to making some shavings dude, or the Woodturning Tommy Knockers will visit your shop one night and leave 500 bushels of wet shavings on the floor. :D

Seriously, your shop looks like it should be in Architectural Digest or something. I can only dream of such cleanliness. Take care and enjoy your new baby!

Steve I cleaned it up just to put the new lathe in. That shop hadn't been cleaned in almost 10 yrs. Mistake made was the LOML came out to help me and well need I say more. :eek: :eek:

Here's a good one for you...

Hello Bernie,

Glad to know that your shop does not look like that all the time. It makes me feel better about how mine looks sometimes! :D

Here's a good one for you... We had this maid a few years ago. She was great and did a very good job in the house. One day when she was finished, she asked me if there was anything else she could do before she left. I thought about it for a second and (as a joke) I said that I would like her to clean out the studio (she had never even seen inside my studio at this point).

We went outside and I opened the door... :eek: :eek: :eek: The shavings were piled up 6 - 7 feet high in all directions, with a tiny path to walk through them to the lathe. When the maid saw this, she started screaming in Spanish and ran to her car. I could only understand parts of what she said, it translated something like "The Crazy Devil of the Wood" (el diablo loco de la madera). Poor lady, we never saw her again. :eek:

My wife has made me promise never to take any of our maids into the studio again. They all just run away screaming. :D Take care and good luck again with your new lathe!

Bernie,

Great set-up you've put together! Though I was expecting to see a Chevy when I saw the title of your post.:rolleyes: I guess my head is elsewhere these days.

I hope it works out!

Wes