Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Builders?

Boat Builders?

So anyone built their own boat(s)?

I was watching the show "Salvage Dogs" a few nights back, and in the basement of one of their picks they came across this old racing boat. Upon closing before the commercial, the host said "if anyone wants to buy a boat made by the Neal Boat and Motor Company of Kansas City, MO..." which caught my attention.

Not hearing of Neal Boat and Motor Company I had to do a little research, which lead down the rabbit hole...of course.

Turns out Dick Neal used to build and race these small hydro plane boats. His shop was just blocks from my work, but has long since sold the company. Seeing the boat also triggered some memories that I had a book with some plans for building one of these small water rockets (depending on the motor). So last night I spent some time browsing the for the plans and found them, did a quick Google of the Author (Hal Kelly) and found the same plans online here (see Wetback plans, also lots of resources on the main page of the site).

Here is one of the Hal Kelly style of boats in action...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJA2I4OtEPw

So between buying a Jeep, Ned getting me hooked on the Teardrop trailer site (http://tnttt.com), and these boats, I must be going through an outdoor activity phase right now.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That looks like a ton of fun. Not sure I could do it with my funky back, but it'd be fun to try.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow those are scarily awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of how it porpoised before it came up on plane, but its probably fine.. I suppose as long as its a FLAT place you're running them.

I've read this book front to back a half dozen times http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Boa.../dp/0071567038 (and a couple of others) but haven't gone past that.

They use to race those little hydros around my area when I was a kid. I use to have the plan for building one years ago. I think it came from Popular Mechanics. Would be fun, but the motor would be a problem for me. Pretty expensive.
    "We the People ......"

Thanks for sharing the tear drop site Darren (and Ned)....yeah, thanks a lot!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Re: Boat Builders?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Thanks for sharing the tear drop site Darren (and Ned)....yeah, thanks a lot!
    Problem with getting my wife to go camping in one, is no bathroom in it. I'll have to do my research to find the right camp grounds with spiderless bathrooms.

○|||||||○
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Problem with getting my wife to go camping in one, is no bathroom in it. I'll have to do my research to find the right camp grounds with spiderless bathrooms.

○|||||||○
    Yeah that's a deal breaker for me too probably. But a guy has to get out all by himself sometimes too!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Always wanted to, I have built a picnic table though...Hmmmm >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_HqB24mGkU
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

I'm more of a kitchen table kind of guy myself...

workingwoods.com

Speaking of picnic tables, did you see this one?

http://youtu.be/qK0rZ5LMcho

workingwoods.com