What kind of Router do you use?

Sean Wright

What kind of Router(s) do you use?
--What do you like about it?
--What do you dislike about it?

I have a Dewalt 618 (2 1/4 hp VS) with a fixed and plunge base. I mounted the fixed base in my router table. This was an upgrade from my 2 hp Craftsman (only 1/4 in collet). I also had a $200 gift card to Lowes, so it was probably the most inexpensive router I will ever buy! :D

I know that traditionally P-C Routers are very popular with woodworkers. I did alot of research before making the final decision. In researching it, I saw a good number of people questioning the quality on new P-C routers. It seems like the older P-C routers were really good. From what I read the DW618 had good reviews, and very few complaints on quality. While, admittedly, I do have a preference for the "yellow tools"... I do have a number of P-C tools as well that I am happy with.

Stuff I like: Clear lexan base plates, very easy in an out of both bases, plunge is very smooth, has a turret dept stop adjusment, spindle lock (only need one wrench :thumb: ), fixed base is easy to make fine adjustments to, top of motor is flat(so it is easy to set down on the bench without changing a dept settng)

My only complaint so far is that the fixed base came with 2 base plates with differnt size holes, while the plunge base only came with a single base plate with a small hole. Unfortunatly the base plates for the fixed base and plunge are not interchangeable. :( I ended up making a new base plate for the plunge (with a bigger hole) out of plexi-glass.

Picture Update:

DW618 fixed base in router table extension on TS.
DW618 in Plunge Base
Plunge with "new" plexi-glass base plate with enlarged hole and original base plate.
Router Table Fence
up close of fence and feather board

Attachments

• router1.jpg
    router1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 15
  • router2.jpg
    router2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 13
  • router3.jpg
    router3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 13
  • router4.jpg
    router4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 13
  • router5.jpg
    router5.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I've got 2 routers..

Makita 3612C - Like the power - dont like the weight (it's mostly in a homemade table or slab surfacing rig on my sawmill). Variable speed and good adjustment on the plunge are handy of course.

Baby Bosch - like a 240v version of the US Colt. Dont like the low power - but it's light and small size is handy for the finer work. No variable speed, but it doesn't have the power to spin huge bits anyway. :eek:

If (When) I buy a 3rd one it will be something in the middle.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
I don't use my routers a lot, but I've got two PC 690s...one a couple years old with variable speed and plunge and fixed bases, and another older single speed model with the D-handle base. Between the two motors and three bases, I'm pretty well covered, although a Lexan base or two would be nice. If the right project comes along I might talk myself into a Bosch Colt. I've also got a Hitachi MV-12 VS in the router table extension on my table saw.

I've also got a 25+ year old Craftsman router and a Chinese cheapo that aren't worth bothering to talk about. ;)

sean, i run p/c`s, the ol` 690`s, 7800 series and the 310 trimmers i`ve never used or had a desire to use the new 890 series....the fellow i buy my tools from informed me that the 890 series was designed by some wet behind the ears kid to fit a price point and it probably wouldn`t hold up to the way i use a router......and i listened. as for other brands? i`m of the belief "if it ain`t broke-don`t fix it".....and the p/c`s hold up to the thrashings i give `em...
fyi.....i think that p/c makes some good tools and lots that are made for a price point......same with all major brands, so buying a p/c hammer drill `cause i like their routers wouldn`t be a smart move....it all depends on what tool you`re looking at as to who has figured out how to build one that`ll last...tod

I have a old Ryobi RE-600 that broke a collett a while back and I stuffed it under the bench waiting to find another collett for it.

I also have two PC 690's that are dedicated dovetail routers (one for pins and one for tails, I'm lazy and don't want to make the change)

And a Bosch 1617 that is mounted in the router table.

I have two, an old Hitachi M12 (not the M12V :() and a smaller M8.

The M12 I got at a recycle place of a really low price, and the M8 I bought new, MSRP :eek: A ways back, as I did not know of Joyful Honda, or any other DIY shops at the time.

I have the M12 in the router table, and it has been great, but, I tore it apart today, as the bearing are making a LOT of noise, I thought I was going to let the smoke out of it at one point:rolleyes:

I have to laugh, this router is at least 10 years old, maybe even 20 :dunno: made in Japan, but the bearings, well they say "Made in China" right on them :rofl: I guess the outsourcing has been going on for some time?

The M12, with a speed controller on it, does heavy lifting on the router table, with the new bearings installed, I'm confident I'll get another ten years out of it. I put the Router Raizer thing on it, which works slick!:thumb:

I really do not like the M8, I find it clunky and nothing is in the right place, the stops always seem to rattle loose, and the collet is the worst, if I use 2' long bars on it to tighten it up, I still seem to have to check it every 5 minutes of use to make sure the darn bit has not extended out of the router, wreaking whatever I'm working on :bang:

The new Hitachi combo set, with the fixed base and plunge base looks very good, well the "Alien" graphics design does not do much for me, but the unit looks solid, and has gotten fairly good reviews.

I have to say the DeWalt units look good too, but if I had the dosh, I'd get a Festool for handheld and be done with it :D

I don't use mine very often. But, I have an old, really old, Porter-Cable 532-M that I inherited. Works fine. By current standards is considered underpowered but cuts fine and clean. Also, a Skil 1820. I got this after reading reviews. It is a plunger with great ergonomics and other features. I really like it. I bought it used but in like-new condition off eBay for $25.00, with shipping. I know it is not designed for long-term, frequent hard use. But, right now, for my needs it is great. In fact, when/if it dies, I would consider replacing with another identical model.

I seem to be collecting routers. I have a PC 690 that's old as dirt. There's a PC 7518 in my router table. I have a Bosch 1617 that I used to use for a jig. A DW621 for mortising. A Bosch Colt (piece of cr**) that takes up space. My go to router is a Festool 1040. It has excellent dust collection, the collet nut wratchets - so you don't have to take the wrench off to keep turning the nut, and it works with the Festool guide rails. Only problem is that over the years I have built jigs for specific routers. One of these days when I have some spare time :rolleyes: I'll rework the jigs so the Festool will work on them and have a garage sale.:D

20 some pc 690, 7310, and 7500 series around here somewhere.
2 new hatachi routers. I haven't gave those a complete workout yet.

Sounds like time for you to get a new router Steve.:D I am starting to accumulate way too many routers myself. I've got a Freud K in my router table, a Bosch with two bases that now gets used occasionally, a PC 310 lam trim that gets used a lot (only beef on this is the 1/4" only collet and it will jam with the conical collet) and a Festool 1400 that is king of the hill IMHO for the same reasons Jessie outlined.

I have never had a router with a D handle base. Are they easier to work with than ones with 2 regular handles? Or are they better for certain types of tasks? :huh:

I would think that you would have better control using 2 hands as opposed to just one.....

I have never had a router with a D handle base. Are they easier to work with than ones with 2 regular handles? Or are they better for certain types of tasks? :huh:

I would think that you would have better control using 2 hands as opposed to just one.....

D-handles also have 1 knob. I use both hands

I'll pick up a D-handle before anything else

My favorite router is a porter cable 690 D handle. It is much easier to use than two knobbers (at least for me). I have a couple of plunge routers as well, but my favorite one is a DW625. It is the exact same of an ELU.

Well, I'm in the "Haven't used them much yet" camp. I sure do have a LOT of use planned for them though. :thumb:

PC 7518 in the router lift
Festool Plunge router OF 1400 EQ

DT

I've got the PC 690 for hand held work as well. The model shop where I used to work had two that took one heck of a beating and still worked like a charm. My table has a Hitachi M12V that is a few years old. It has worked well so far, and I picked it up when Amazon was having one of their 22.5 minute unadvertised sales so it was cheap.:rolleyes:

FWIW,
Wes

Oh, and my old Craftsman (that for some reason I recently tore apart and fixed:dunno: ) is dedicated to the dovetail jig. Better than throwing it out I guess.:D

M12V in my big table, 2 Bosch 1617 VS fixed and plunge for small table and hand work, 1 690LR for hand work and 2 690/1 D types for dovetail jig work.

I would have to say I like the Boschs best. Size, smoothness, ease of use.

I also have a little Skill 1688, in great condition, I got from my Dad. He used it when he built their home in Oregon, especially work in the kitchen.

Old Craftsman 1hp--- Not much count except for very small bits. Makes a good laminate trimmer.

Hatachi M12VC--- Likes: Quite and inexpensive. Dislikes: None really yet but it does not appear to be the quality of my other routers so I do not expect a long life of hard use. Hope that I am wrong but it was cheap. No switch in the handle.

Milwaukee 5615--- Likes: High quality easy to handle and a lot of torque for that hp. Dislikes: Comes with a solid black subbase so if you want to see the bit area or use pc bushings you have to make or buy another subbase.

Milwaukee 5625--- Likes: High Quality, tons of power and selfcontained above the table height adjustment. I would buy the same unit again for my table, that is for sure. Dislikes: None except if I were going to use it handheld I would like a switch in the handle.

DeWalt 621 plunge--- Likes: Pretty good quality and plent of power for average size bits and IT HAS THE SWITCH IN THE HANDLE where it belongs. Dislikes: The small irregular shaped base. For it to be stable you need to add a larger subbase. Also it is hard to see the bit with the small opening in the base. I might like the 618 better, especially with the D handle base.

I almost picked up the Ridgid at Homedepot today because they are $199 with $35 dollars off. Two things stoped me, there is no switch in the handle and since I already have the 621 I could add another $100 and buy the PC 7539 and have it if I decide to use it in a mill (Found it for $325 plus $6 or $8 fee and $50 rebate from PC). For you guys that have the 7539 I have four questions. Is it two large to use as a handheld with the smaller bits? What do you think of it? Has PC solved the bearing quality problem? Is this a good price?

Allen

Last edited:
Allen, my opinions...:rolleyes:

Is it two large to use as a handheld with the smaller bits?
At 14 pounds, I think the 7539 is too heavy for hand held work. I have mine permanently mounted on my mill (see pic).

What do you think of it?
I don’t have any complaints about it. It’s pretty loud but that’s to be expected I guess.

Has PC solved the bearing quality problem?
I didn’t know there was a bearing problem, mine’s been trouble free.

Is this a good price? ($325)
Toolseeker.com shows the 7539 going for $269 at Tools-Plus.com. I don’t know if they’re offering a rebate.

Attachments

• Router-mount.jpg
    Router-mount.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 23