What kind of Router do you use?

I have to agree with Tod on the "Pro Shop Use" point, I think that you will have a hard time killing the big older PC routers in a shop and or the Hitachi M12/M12v.

Now Tod, in defense of the Triton, they have been in other markets, like Australia for a LONG time and they are known to be bullet proof.

The Festool router for a handheld has got to be near the top, and yes you pay for it.

Cheers!

frank and stu, i wasn`t questioning the quality of triton, festool, p/c or hitachi..... only franks statement that they`re the "best".....kinda an opinion type statement;) ........tod

frank and stu, i wasn`t questioning the quality of triton, festool, p/c or hitachi..... only franks statement that they`re the "best".....kinda an opinion type statement;) ........tod
Tod, aren't opinions something that we are looking for? :D

And, my opinions are usually informed opinions backed by experience and reasearch (after all, my basic education was as a scientist).

Does any one in Canada have a router for sale for reasonable price? Since the fire here I have been trying to rebuild my tools but have to settle for used as I am on disability and have one son on disability as well so money is very dear . Sorry , I am not looking for pity , just stating why I need to buy used and also I know nothing about routers but know that there are a lot of times that I could use one. especially for making dado's. I don't have a dado blade for my table saw so I figured it would be a wiser investment if I could find a used router that could be used for more uses. Thank you in advance .

Darren Myers

Does any one in Canada have a router for sale for reasonable price? Since the fire here I have been trying to rebuild my tools but have to settle for used as I am on disability and have one son on disability as well so money is very dear . Sorry , I am not looking for pity , just stating why I need to buy used and also I know nothing about routers but know that there are a lot of times that I could use one. especially for making dado's. I don't have a dado blade for my table saw so I figured it would be a wiser investment if I could find a used router that could be used for more uses. Thank you in advance .

Darren Myers

What size, horsepower are you thinking of Darren?

Darren Myers

hey darren send me your address i got a line on a router real cheap for you, PM me perferable with your address//larry//

I am not sure as I am very unfamiliar with what would be adequate for us. We are very new to woodworking but do know that I have had many opportunities to use a router and everywhere I read about shop jigs , they have more jigs available for routers. I am trying to build a computer desk for the locale school and I have a hard time making dado's without a dado blade or a router . That is what made me think of posting here for a used one. So really I am a router virgin :) Any help would be appreciated as to what I should be looking for.
Thanks so much for your replies,
Darren

New Update.... I have found a router and thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:
I have an old craftsman router from the 70's. My dad bought it, never used it, and it migrated to my shop about 8 years ago. I use it for sign templating now. I also have a DW621 and a PC7518. I picked up a little laminate trimmer router from Dewalt last year and I have an older black and decker sitting under a bench somewhere. I used it for one project. It worked fine, but I like soft start routers better and it's plunge action is awful. I also have a 3 1/4 King Canada plunger that I'm trying to give away.

The DW621 and the PC7518 are the workhorses with the PC in the table and the DW for bench work. The laminate trimmer comes out when I have to do a balancing act. The DW and PC were both good buys. The King Canada was not...I bought it for the table, but it's too awkard to set the bit depth and change bits. I didn't try to set those with my feet, but it might have been easier.

Cheers!