Familiar with this fence anyone?

I bought a new to me saw and my noobishness is showing concerning the fence that came with it. It's not the original to this saw and I have no idea what brand it is, but what has me befuddled is setting it and using it. Does one have to both > adjust the small top knob & use the lock handle each & every time when setting it? It may be just not dialed in, but seems no better than the crapola I replaced,
Unless I'm missing a step or two I'm still back to measuring from front & back of the blade to assure squareness :dunno::dunno::dunno:

mini-Fence.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts or pathways!

My thought would be you only should have to adjust the top knob once. That should adjust how tight the fence is held when you push the locking lever down. However IMHO the fence was a weak piece on Craftsman saws. Not the best. I think the two bolts on top are for fine adjust for truing it to the blade. I could be all wrong. It looks like some of the older Craftsman fences I have seen. But, also IMHO that saw deserves a better fence, like maybe a Incra or a, ah what is that other brand a few people like, oh ya, Biesemeye...

Thanks Paul, I kinda figured I was doing something wrong. Probably a little heavy handed with the top knob. I agree craftsman hasn't had a great fence following :rofl: but with my champagne taste and beggar's wallet, I might see a delta T2{?} in the near future, not that I wouldn't adore one of those you mentioned :D :thumb:

Looks a lot like the one on my Delta, though the tension on mine is on the opposite end of the fence, so that top knob probably does adjust the tension. When locked down if it's not true to the blade, you'd use those two top bolts to adjust the alignment. Once set, you shouldn't have to adjust it again.

If I'm not mistaken, which is sadly often the case, the top knob tightens a cam and clamp affair on the other nd. It's very similar to my old Delta contractor saw fence. You can get by without locking the far end most of the time, but when you want to be absolutely certain there's no movement, then tighten the knob. That fence is fairly flimsy and will both twist and flex.

Nothing wrong with that fence. It's exactly like the one that came on my Delta 10" contractors saw 35 years ago. As others have said, the two bolts on top are used to adjust squareness and once adjusted you shouldn't have to mess with it again. When you get ready to use for cutting, set to dimension you want, lock the big knob down FIRST to square everything up and then lock the thumb screw to keep the front end from flexxing.
Sold mine with the saw and still working great after so many years.

Thanks Scott, I'll do some investigating, I appreciate the lead!

For anyone wondering, I seem to have conquered my quest, and though I'm not wild about having to take two steps to lock 'er in each time, it is miles ahead of what I was regulated to.
$$$ would solve this via a Biese' or the likes, but that would require me going to work and I'm starting to get way too comfortable with all this free time :rolleyes::D