Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new mower

My new mower

Well, have been using this mower set up for over a month, oldest daughter Fina emailed me some pictures she took with her phone when pulling up the drive one day.

Mowing the cow pasture weeds. Don't like a sickle mower for this as I want to chop the weeds up so they don't lay on top of the grass and kill it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mail-5.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	77939

Mows about 80", current configuration is leaving a half mown swatch. So am going to "remodel" these two mowers.

Name:	mail-4.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	77941

Here we are a little closer. Fannie and Mae, Norwegian Fjords. On a forecart pulling two Shisher rough cut trail mowers. 8 acres used to take about 14 gallons of gas. With this setup, a little over 3 gallons of gas.

Name:	mail.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	77940

Here you can see the setup a little better. Am going to take the inside wheels and brackets off and "marry" the two mowers together to make them one solid mower and so I can have the key and lever for the second mower at hand. I bought a seat at TSC as my old butt didn't like the cast iron seat that came with my cart.

Name:	mail-1.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	77938

I remember someone wanting info on a new mower, well I tell you, this is quite the mowing crew! With the tractor it took me about 4 hours. This way is about 6 hours. This team seems to be walking right around 6 mph, to do a good job the mowers have to be kept under 5 mph so I have to talk to them and hold them back some. With the sickle mower (for hay) they step right out and cut it like hot butter! Hope you enjoy the pictures. This is one of the many projects that has kept me away and busy this summer.

Larger pictures on 2nd page thanks to Vaughn.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 08-27-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Right on.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan. The time difference isn't all that bad, to bad you still have to have the mower motors running My small experience with Fjords is that they are pretty steppy so I'm not surprised you have to rein them in a little. Easier than trying to get some old lunk head up to speed as the alternative anyway.

That's a nice looking setup Jon. The offset would make it good for cornering. How does it work on the first (or last) pass or two, where I presume you have to go around the other way? Is your team nimble enough to back it in and tidy up the corners?
    Thanks for the pics!

being a city boy, I get introduced to new stuff here everyday.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Right on.

Thanks for sharing Jonathan. The time difference isn't all that bad, to bad you still have to have the mower motors running My small experience with Fjords is that they are pretty steppy so I'm not surprised you have to rein them in a little. Easier than trying to get some old lunk head up to speed as the alternative anyway.
    Yeah, rotary mowing does have some advantages at times. Will put up with those smaller engines. Next summer plan on playing with the exhaust and mufflers though and see how quiet I can get them. They (the ponies) are movers for sure. And I would agree 100%, it is a lot easier holding them back a little than trying to keep one walking!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rideout View Post
    That's a nice looking setup Jon. The offset would make it good for cornering. How does it work on the first (or last) pass or two, where I presume you have to go around the other way? Is your team nimble enough to back it in and tidy up the corners?
    Thanks for the pics!
    Cannot back that rig more than 5'. The back mower hooks to the front mower on the side, the front mower hooks offset to the forecart. Now when I get the two married together, yes this team will be able to back in and clean up the corners better. The pasture got over grazed during last year's drought. I got a late start mowing this summer due to working the ponies down and getting them ready for the noise. If time allows, thinking I am going to plow some of that pasture under and plant some open pollinated corn. Have a two row, one horse corn cutter that I bought with my mule in mind for shocking corn next Sept.. These girls need some more hours on them before cultivating corn, but haven't gotten much done in the way of hauling manure yet so that will put some time on the team. Yeah they are nimble!! They got away from their previous owners a few times and got it in their heads to not work. They have a work ethic unlike any pony I have owned in some time. If they are true of the breed, I am impressed with Fjords. They don't stand out in the open yet. But a few days of plowing will really reinforce that lesson so not worried, they know whoa, just not stand. Glad you liked them. I tried to enlarge the pictures with editing but didn't figure it out.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    being a city boy, I get introduced to new stuff here everyday.
    Talk about your green mower, mine fertilizes the field while it cuts it!!!!
    Jon

its a tough job owning a farm.

don't know how some of you guys handle it as you get a bit older.(not meaning you are too old, just that the physical demands of farming and tending to fields and livestock is not something for the weak or lazy)
    Human Test Dummy

I'd like to see them work Jon. Might have to drop in next time we're "in the neighbourhood".
    It's good they have that extra bit of steam, as you say, and the plow should settle them quite a bit.
    Does your idea for marrying the two mowers allow for some up and down flex, while eliminating the troublesome four wheeled wagon articulating issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    But a few days of plowing will really reinforce that lesson so not worried, they know whoa, just not stand.
    Heh I'd bet after a day or two of plowing[1] they might be ready to stand a bit nicer and might even take to cultivating alright although imho you'd want to be pretty comfortable with them before getting up on the cultivator - there are less escape hatches there .

[1] I remember once we got in a team of Morgans to break to drive and it turned out they'd gotten a little locoweed which makes them get crazy if they get hot (little crazy all the time, plumb crazy once they warmed up). So they were a little high tempered to begin with, but if you tried to work them hard to settle them down they would go plumb crazy. Eventually we sent them home with some pointed instructions about not using them, there weren't a lot of horses we sent back but this was one set. Dad had a couple of Percherons we'd pair new horses with when they were learning and those were big enough they couldn't do a whole lot for the most part but it would still get pretty exciting at times.

the closest thing I can remember ever owning that came close to a workhorse, was a 1990 or so Volvo 240 station wagon.
    Human Test Dummy