Feeling my age today

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I had planned to work on the Dresser unit on Saturday, but my nephew called on Friday night and asked if I could help him pour some concrete. His front walk had settled a little over the past couple of years and he's wanting to put his house on the market soon, so it needed to be fixed. He took care of removing the old concrete and forming up, but he doesn't have any way to haul concrete, so that was where I came in.

I had planned to do the screeding and finish work, but given he's never had that experience I opted to be the mixer and let him work through the process. I'm also not sure my knees could have taken all the up/down anyway. He did well, taught him a few things, and think he got the hang of it. This pic is before we brushed, added control joints, and rounded the edges.

2013-08-24 16.08.58.jpg

Needless to say, my back is a little sore today! :doh:

I'm in the same infirmary :thud:...between lifting that cast iron table saw on & off a few times by myself over the weekend and spending 8 hours today digging post holes for a privacy fence with a buddy, I'm about shot for the day. That 8 hours btw was used to dig 15 holes, auger kept getting hung up on rocks and some of the heaviest clay I've ever encountered, spent more time with the handheld diggers than the gas powered...:bang:

I know how you feel. Mowed my son in law's one acre back lawn yesterday in the 90+ degree heat with a walk behind mower and passed out from the heat just after getting in the shower. My body usually gives me some warning signs when it overheats. This time they came a little late. No damage done though.

If it's any consolation to you old guys...

I feel GREAT!
bliss.gif

:rofl:

Actually, I'm stiff and sore from various things, too.

Just finished doing my lawn, front yard anyway... the riding mower crapped out on the next to last pass down the back slope and had to push it back to the garage, then get out the push mower to finish. My lot is about an acre, but fortunately only mow about 2/3 of it. Then mowed the front slope with the push mower... I wasn't sure whether to sit down or just fall down... funny can't do as much work at 72 as I could at 52.

I feel your pain really. Had to do the same before we sold the old house. Oh boy doing paving and concrete mixing and laying aint fun. Also when you trying to teach young bucks to mix concrete and they play with the spade like a soft swizzel stick and dont turn the stuff over. Then you get mad and take the spade and show them how its done and next thing the competition is on. Oy vey.

This is the third time I have had to sign in. It would not take my previous "Reply to Thread" unless I refreshed and signed in. It said this even though it showed me signed in.

Anyway, I swore off of grass about 50 or 60 years ago. I have never regretted that decision. I have no lawnmower, no dandelions, no edger, etc. I do have a yard that I love and requires almost no attention.

Enjoy,
JimB

This is the third time I have had to sign in. It would not take my previous "Reply to Thread" unless I refreshed and signed in. It said this even though it showed me signed in...

Jim, next time Glenn is down your way visiting, please have him look at your browser Cookie settings to see if Family Woodworking cookies are allowed. Also ask him to flush your browser cache.